Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About at the end of my tether with this one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About at the end of my tether with this one.

For the third time this year I've come out to the smell of gas in my garage and a crankcase full of gas.
    First time it happened I thought maybe a piece of debris in the petcock, so I took it off and... strange, everything seems clean and in order. Oring looks good, no varnish or whatever else so I put it back together and install it back on the tank. Take the header off, drain the oil, put the header back on and put new oil back in it. Just to be safe I let the fuel hose dangle in a jar - after a day or so not even a drop from it. Looks good.
    Put the fuel line back on the carbs and take it for a ride. Again, just to be safe, I put the fuel line back in it's jar for another night to make sure it doesn't wet anything. Again, not a drop. Satisfied with this I put everything back together, go for a ride and put it away with an easy mind.

The next day... What the....?!! smell of gas in the garage and a flooded crankcase.

The above scenario pretty much repeats itself with the exception of more nights in the jar for the fuel line and I decide to keep the tank less than 1/2 full when I park it ... and I tap on the petcock a few times for good luck.

Then, after a week of normality, another crankcase full of gas. Right away I send the fuel line to it's jar! Guess what - eight hours later not even a drop.

BTW - this petcock is only about 6 years old.
    Last edited by Tom R; 05-25-2011, 02:37 AM.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Get a Pingel & turn it off when you park the bike. No more problem!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      Get a Pingel & turn it off when you park the bike. No more problem!!! Ray.
      Yeah, I really wish Suzuki didn't make it so easy for me with this automatic petcock.
      I'm looking for a 5/16" inline shutoff valve, which would be a good bit cheaper than the Pingel.
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175

Comment

Try a good hobby shop for a smaller fuel shutoff if you decide to go that route..

DDM

Comment

You might make sure the petcock's filter screen hasn't come loose (sounds like there's mung in your petcock), but it really sounds like it's time for a new OEM Suzuki petcock.

A manual petcock is expensive and is only a solution if you have an absolutely infallible brain. As you know all too well, the float needles on these bikes aren't designed to hold back a tankful of gas. The manual shutoff might be a decent temporary solution -- a mower shop might be another place to look for one of these.

Also, I've heard rumblings here and there that people have had trouble with the aftermarket petcocks -- get your new one from Suzuki.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I had the exact same with GS750 1977, fuel in the engine as soon as i turned my back on the bike, i bought a second hand petcock did the same as i think the diaphram had dried out, i finally bought a petcock that fitted from a later model which had a twist dial for prime rather than the old sundial types, still i cant trust it, so i got an inline ballbaring on off switch from Amazon for £5 to seperate the fuel line from the carbs for when i turn my back on it.

Comment

I used to have the same issue, wouldn't leak while I was there, but then I'd leave and come back and gas would be every where. Bought a new petcock and havn't had an issue since. Tried one of those petcock rebuild kits, didn't work, and it's not much more money to get a new one from Z1.

Comment

autozone has a fuel cut off valve in the back of the store....by yhe lawn mover stuff

Comment

It is an aftermarket petcock, which I'm sure is at the heart of the issue. My brain is infallible except when I forget things - but I am already in the habit of turning off the fuel from my Hondas, so I might give the inline valve a shot as I've already blown past my Suzuki budget for the year.
                  I'll check out autozone to see if they have one in 5/16", otherwise their are several online.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175

Comment

Working...
                  X