Robert Barr and O-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert Barr and O-rings

I got some O-rings recently and what everyone says is true.
    The kit was wonderfully packaged and had a very informative set of instructions along with a well coded packet of rings in zip-loc bags.

I took the carbs apart and was aghast at the state of the old rings compared to the new ones.
    The idle screw bits were especially worn. The little rings and new washers went in nicely.
    The needle valve rings were another eye-opener. It is one thing to assume an o-ring has failed, quite another to pop a new one on and insert a needle valve housing into a carb body. The resistance to insertion was palpable.

Anyway got it back together and two major things.
    I set my idles screws at 2 turns out and as crazy as it sounds the bike idled darn near perfect.
    I also used the rings on the old choke joint. Pretty amazing there as well.

So all you guys who think its just good advice get off your butt and get a new set of o-rings. This is the best 20 bucks I have ever spent.

I was going to take pics but had no way of keeping a camera clean.

great to hear they worked out for ya. I also recently purchased the o-rings and am currently in the process of dipping the parts and getting them ready for installation

Comment

Jeepster...when you reassemble the carbs oput a dab of synthetic grease on the orings before you insert them in to the pilot and air screw wells.. it will help them slide down the tube without binding or damage..and make the screws turn a bit easier when you are fine tuning them. DO NOT put anything on the orings for the fuel tee or transfer tubes!!
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I love Robert Barrs kits so much it makes me wanna rebuild carbs just thinking about it.
        Is that weird?

Did ya get the intake orings and stainless bolts too?
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I like his kits to.Should be interesting doing the Skunks VM's.Just a bit different than Old Yellers BS's.

Comment

Always been a perfect fit on every kit through the years. Cheers!!

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

folks just hit the man up.
              He is like a cure fro cancer and the easter bunny.

Anyone pretneding that the 30ish yr old rings they have are OK is crazy.
              Drove my bike c'est soir like I was 18 and it was brabd new.

Get em change em and harp on like I have.
              Exquisite service and incomprehensible increase in perf.
              If the bike is old you have no idea how good it actually was.

Comment

I just recieved a kit today and got her up and running! thanks Robert!

Comment

Working...
                X