Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it feel like when a spot is rich or lean??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12-15k for the coil only seems normal. The stock plug caps tend to be ~10k (when they're in spec, obviously) so you get 32-35k total. With 5k NGK caps you can expect that to drop another 10k. That reading itself would not give me cause for concern. Obviously those caps need to go.

Comment

Well... the parts guy at RMC mis-heard me and thought I said "XD05F", instead of XB... I looked them over and frankly, I don't think there is a difference in the base cap itself. The XD is supposed to fit 12 and 10mm threaded plugs, and the XB is for 14mm, but I tried the XD plug on a B8ES plug and it fits just fine.

I'm thinking that the difference is actually in the supplied rubber boots that go over the plug. If that's the case, I'll just use the boots off of my existing caps and should be good to go.

Can't wait to get out to the garage tonight and get this done to see if my mysterious issue is taken care of!!

Comment

I was plagued with intermittent coil, wire, cap problems, all of which were new replacements. I finally bit the bullet and got a set of Dyna Green coils, to match my Dyna-S, and the Dyna 8mm suppression wire. All those problems went away and I'll never look back at the stock ignition parts again. The coils and wires made a huge difference in the way the bike runs.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Problem SOLVED, guys!!

And, it turns out that the bad plug caps were NOT the issue... They didn't help, but it turns out that 49er nailed it!

I took it for a ride with the new caps, and it WAS better, but only in that it would struggle through the stumbling a LOT better... the stumbling was still there.

SO, I pulled over, filled up with gas, and while I was parked, pulled out my screwdriver and pulled out the factory air-cleaner side rubber stacks from inside the K&Ns... Problem solved!!

There is a very brief hessitation/stuble right at 7000, but it is just a blip and I'm sure caused by the 170 mains still in there (should be the DJ 165s), and perhaps the needles may need a notch adjustment, but the rest is all golden!

VERY HAPPY GS850 owner right now!

Now I can get to the ignition mods with the coil relay, new coils, and Dyna S... Relay mod first... the others will have to wait a bit.

Thank you all SOOOOO MUCH for sticking with me and providing the good advice. Hopefully others have learned from this as well, but I know I certainly did!

I'm very greatful! Hopefully I can return the favor one of these days!

Gotta go... time for a ride!

Comment

Oh, and I was right about the XD vs XB plugs... it's just a diffenence in the rubber boot on the plug end. The hold in the XD is smaller for the 10/12mm plugs... I used the rubber bits on these two caps from my original caps and all is good!

Zoom!......

Comment

Glad it's sorted. IMO, GS 850's are the most comfortable/sweetest performing combos available! Hey, but I'm prejudiced.
              The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
                Quote:
                7. Engine accelerates until the midrange then pauses, stumbles, or shuts down until you back off the throttle. This problem gets worse the higher the gear used.
                • Verify the parameters on the Fact Sheet are being met. For example, the mains are stage 1 mains if you have the stock air box. The stage 3 mains are used with the individual filters.
                • Verify the intake and exhaust flow matches those described by Dynojet.
                • Verify the float bowl vent tubes are removed (not applicable to Pressurized Air Box Models).
                • Verify proper installation of parts, spacers under the needle etc. as Dynojet recommends, and that your needles and mains are all matched and free of obvious defects.
                • If these items check out, lower the needle down to fix a slight pause or stumble. Lower the needle and install a smaller main jet to fix a more severe problem.

Almost seems to fit the symptoms... I've had a smaller, 160 main in there... Maybe I need a 155?? I'm grasping now, obviously... I've tried to do the "choose the correct main first" route, but I can't GET into the mains with it stumbling like this at WOT... so how the heck do I do that!?

Hahahaha... you guys DID warn me that Pods were fun! Not ready to turn back just yet...

Where did you get that little explanation from in this post??

Comment

Working...
                X