Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb Balancing by "highest idle" instructions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

Steve or others. I know where the fuel/air mixture screw is. CAn someone please point out the synch screws??

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    True enough. You need to to a bench sync, which is just checking visually that the carbs are open about the same amount at idle speed, then do a dynamic sync using gauges. THEN you can check the idle mixture screws by using the highest idle method.

Here is what you are looking for on the bench sync. Notice the openings under the throttle butterflies.
    Adjust the sync screws between the carbs so the sliver of light is as close as you can get from one carb to the others.

Comment

#3 carb is the fixed carb, all others are synched to that. See the adjustment screw in Steve's picture that is between the two carbs. There is a special screwdriver/nut tool that is extremely helpful. Has long shaft to reach in and adjust screw while loosening and tightening the lock nut. Here's a link at Z1

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
      Last edited by thewiz; 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

The synch screw circled for you...

'83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by gk45011 View Post
          Steve or others. I know where the fuel/air mixture screw is. CAn someone please point out the synch screws??
          How about this?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,

you just had to one up me, didn't ya?

Thanks for taking the time to do a little extra...Photoshop wasn't in the cards for me this morning.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Those cheap sets are fine - the needles only jump around if they're not damped. We used to use the Kawasaki sets rather than the Suzuki gauges as they were easier and the Kwacker set were dial type, almost the same as those cheap ones.

You can pay a lot more and get the Davida dial type gauges as well. They work, just no better than the cheap set - if you damp things down.
              Yes they are fine once setup properly. You have to trim the dampness else the needles will bounce but that is part of standard setup. I have had. Two problems. Rubber vacume line is cheap and tends to split. I have had to cut back the ends a fee times. Also the brass extensions work well but can start to come apart. I use some solder and soldering iron to sweat the ends into the tubes to stop them fondling spart. Had mne for 4-5 years and both chef1366 and myself have used them for balancing podded carbs

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                Steve,

you just had to one up me, didn't ya?

Thanks for taking the time to do a little extra...Photoshop wasn't in the cards for me this morning.
                Sorry about that.

I looked at the thread, then had to go do something else. Came back and posted a picture that I had saved from a previous post quite some time ago, apparently using the same picture that you did. I already had it done (but not in Photoshop) and posted to Photobucket, but did not see your post until after I had posted mine.

There are times that you don't really need anythng fancy, good ol' MS Paint works just fine.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X