No announcement yet.

The vinegar rust removal paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since you live in a very humid environment, rusting up again will always be a problem.
    In this case I would consider using the POR-15 fuel tank lining kit. You get an acid bath, some stuff to neutralize it, and the paint. It is the only kit of this type I would consider using. A bit of a complicated procedure, but it works.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm looking at the por15 treatment. I believe my tank is a five gallon tank. Any recommendations on which kit to go with? The cycle tank kit is fourty and change while the super starter kit is twenty and change. Would the super starter kit suffice or should I go with the cycle tank kit?

Comment

Phosphoric acid works much better to derust a tank because it leaves behind a phosphate coating which is rust resistant. Chuck Haun recommended this stuff the other day and I fully support...http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

The only other thing you will need is the Por-15 sealer itself, no need for the kit.
        Last edited by Nessism; 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by SeanMora77 View Post
          I'm looking at the por15 treatment. I believe my tank is a five gallon tank. Any recommendations on which kit to go with? The cycle tank kit is fourty and change while the super starter kit is twenty and change. Would the super starter kit suffice or should I go with the cycle tank kit?
          The motorcycle kit is good for three, maybe four bikes. How much is in the starter kit and does it have all of the different steps?

Comment

I used the Vinegar method with great results.

1) Three gallon jugs of white vinegar
            2) Filled tank using old petcock and existing gas cap
            3) Add handful of nuts/bolts
            4) Shake every few hours or just whenever you think about it.
            5) Next day went to car wash and drained vinegar (removing cap and old petcock)
            6) Wash well with pressure hose
            7) Drive home and douse with half can of WD40.
            8) Drink beer.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              The way i found to stop flash rusting is to empty the vinegar (neat vinegar - nothing mixed with it) then immediately fill with water from a hose and just leave the hose running to flush the gunge out. Stop the hose and pull off the tap and as the water comes out blast the inside of the tank with WD40 (as soon as the water has dropped an inch start the WD40 blasting).
              I used some acid to get rid of the rust then used a Water hose as described. While the tank was nearly full of water but with acid flushed out I put some por-15 metal prep in. It coats the metal long enough to get the water out and you can get some gas into it. I think I threw some alcohol in at the end to get rid of any residual water in the gas. Tank came out dpik and span. I may have also sloshes around a little gas at first to mix and dilute the residual water while also coating the tank
              Last edited by posplayr; 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                The motorcycle kit is good for three, maybe four bikes. How much is in the starter kit and does it have all of the different steps?
                The starter kit does have all the steps just less of each.

Comment

Works better than anything else I've tried and won't flash rust your tank.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanMora77 View Post
                    The starter kit does have all the steps just less of each.
                    OK, the moto tank kit gives eight ounces of paint and a quart of the other two, it did at lest two tanks and almost a third one. it the starter kit has at least three ounces of paint that should be enough.

Comment

Clr works wonders.... swish it around a lot... drain it... use a little gas (2cups) and swish that around to rinse out the clr. Fill and ride.

Comment

Working...
                      X