Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What GS did these exhaust systems come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    So Eric,

Do your exhausts have heat shield bosses welded to the pipes? Maybe that's the only difference between the regular 1100E pipes and the Katana?

Thanks for the help Joe. Since these exhaust systems I have do NOT have any heat shield bosses, do you think they are most likely from a Katana?
    Ed,

That would be my guess unless they are from an 1150...scratch that, it looks like the 1150s have heat shields too. The only other black pipes I know of are the later GS550s and those look to be shorter. You might want to check with GS Scott. He is very well versed in the differences between the E, ES, and Kat pipes.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Dirty
      But, yes and yes...

Eric

Comment

Exhaust pipes

Ed,

The 110(X) says they're 1100 pipes.
        The difference between E and Kat pipes is just the location of the hangar, and the heat shield.
        Kat pipe hangars are closer to the middle of the megaphone, where E pipes have the hangar closer to the front end.
        82 Kat pipes (for the 1000) have the same part number (as confirmed by Joe), but they have silver painted exhaust collars.
        83 Kat pipes (for the 1100) have black painted collars.
        Also, 83 pipes have a slightly larger center exhaust exit opening compared to the 82 model. I'm fairly certain this is due to the cam changes in 83 which had more lift in both intake and exhaust. I've had to run 83 E pipes on my 82 Kat while I tracked down a set of Kat pipes, and they needed jetting help.

So it looks to me like you have two (2) sets of 83 Kat pipes.
        These will of course, fit perfectly on an 82 Kat as well as 83.
        Major score.

Polish them up and they will fetch a good penny.
        Scott
        1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
        1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
        1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
        2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
          Ed,

The difference between E and Kat pipes is just the location of the hangar, and the heat shield.
          Kat pipe hangars are closer to the middle of the megaphone, where E pipes have the hangar closer to the front end.
          82 Kat pipes (for the 1000) have the same part number (as confirmed by Joe), but they have silver painted exhaust collars.
          Also, 83 pipes have a slightly larger center exhaust exit opening compared to the 82 model. I'm fairly certain this is due to the cam changes in 83 which had more lift in both intake and exhaust. I've had to run 83 E pipes on my 82 Kat while I tracked down a set of Kat pipes, and they needed jetting help.

Major score.

Wow! I guess you just gotta know who to ask, huh?

Nice work Scott!
          IBA# 24077
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Also explains why I said that my stock GS1000G (Goldie) felt like it had more power with the 1100E exhaust rather than the stock 1000G pipes.
            They flow better.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
              Ed,

Major score.

Awesome info Scott...you too Joe and Eric. Thanks to everyone.

Polished them up some and most of the surface rust comes right off. One set is almost pristine but the other is just good.

Guess I scored (got a set of 1000ST pipes with the lot too). If I were to slam these on ebay with a BIN price what would you guys suggest?

Last edited by Nessism; 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                If I were to slam these on ebay with a BIN price what would you guys suggest?
                For the nicest set, I would want about $250-275 with the missing flanges. (can you still get them?) Less without the flanges.
                For the other set, $150-200 with the missing flanges.

BTW, besides the extra HP, they sound fantastic!
                Why do you think that I keep buying them?

Eric

Comment

Ed, I think you have a good idea what I would say because good exhaust systems are getting harder and harder to come by, much less good systems for a Kat. On the pristine set, $600 and no less. On the less than stellar set maybe $350-400.

Or, you could set a high BIN and field offers.
                  Last edited by rustybronco; 05-08-2012, 11:45 PM.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I check E-bay most everyday, and the stock mufflers I see on there are mostly crap, doesn't mean they're cheap as they're asking around $500 average for a complete set in "serviceable" condition. Cosmetically they're trash.
                    You should alway start high to begin with, those pipes are in really good condition, and they're rare! I think those two elements alone will command a hefty premium. Don't just give them away. You may be surprised by what you may get for them.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

See what I mean Ed!
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Pricing is hard to determine. eBay auction bids can vary wildly depending on how many, if any, people have an interest in the item. Ideally you would have two or more bidders who really want the item. The potential problem with parts for rare bikes is that the odds are lower that someone will be looking for that specific item. You might do better to check with a Katana forum where you'd be more likely to find interested buyers.

Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Working...
                        X