This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,
    A while back johnnay (Thanks johnnay!) put together a spreadsheet with all the carb data and I could not find an easy way to post this in a thread, so this will be the first try.
    I would very much appreciate it if anyone could help with cross checking this, please, so that we can get it as complete and correct as possible. Then we could approach Frank to host the list on the site for all to easily use. It still has many blanks in it and possibly typos, quite a bit is correct according to the manuals. I would appreciate it if anyone could send me corrections per PM.
    Thanks for the inputs already received. If anyone knows a better way to publish this list please advise.

Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2009, 06:58 AM. Reason: Updated image

Comment

Carb id number help

Ok gang here is what I got carbs from a 79? gs 750 maybe. carb id stamp is as follows 450 20 anyone know what these are ? any help with the setting of the air screws and the the pilot screws would be awesome. Thanks I will be attempting to put these on a 78 KZ650. I know the cables would need to be swapped out. the stock jets or the ones in the carbs are 105 mains and 15 pilot jets. Does this sound right can't find any info on these carbs.

Comment

I need the carb specs for a 1983 GS850G please. I did a search and turned up with nothing, but let me know if I missed it.

I rebuilding my carb and to continue I need to know how many times to turn one of the jets in.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks,
        jayson-

Comment

Just found this which had the following excerpt:

The GS750B came with a # 100 main jet, 0-6 needle, 5F21-3 jet needle, and # 15 pilot jet. The GS750C (1978) and GS750N (1979) carburetors were changed to a #102.5 main jet, 0-4 needle, 5DL36-2 jet needle and #15 pilot jet.

What that all means is that the GS750N is leaner at the small throttle openings usually encountered in EPA emissions test modes. The dual-taper 5DL36-2 jet needle is initially leaner, secondarily richer to smooth the transition from idle to off idle, (or from small, steady-state carb openings at low speeds to gentle acceleration, as encountered in traffic). The float level was also lowered between the GS750B and GS750N, from 26mm to 24mm.
          1979 GS750E

Comment

Per my Haynes manual....

Haynes Manual GS850 Fours 1978-1988...

Still confusing to me on my 80 gs850n having the vm26's...
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic
            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post

Haynes Manual GS850 Fours 1978-1988...

Still confusing to me on my 80 GS850N having the vm26's...
              The GS850GN is a 1979 model and not a 80. The GS850GT had the CV carbs. Maybe you have a 79 registered in 80?

Comment

OpenOffice.org has a PDF compatible software (ODF) that allows you to do all the things adobe software does without paying hundreds of dollars.

Join the OpenOffice revolution, the free office productivity suite with over 375 million trusted downloads.

Comment

from my readings I would say you have to set the pilots or mix screws with the "highest idle method".

Comment

MATCHLESS- re: message Post 136- settings spreadsheet

Marvelous work, sir. Being a new member, I searched the FAQs and found that posting. Sadly for moi & my 1982 GS1100GK2/USA (BS carbs), the idle adjustment screw setting says "preset". That's all I've ever seen, been told or discovered. All the other specs are spot on for my ride.

Anyone out there happen to know what that "preset" number of turns was-is? It pops, spits and snarls at all 1/4-turns up to 2-1/2 turns out.

This scooter was a provebial barn find, after someone decided to see what was inside the 4 carbs, and engine. Now I've the devil of a time getting those 4 things sync-d. And, yes, I have a factory-original manometer and the factory manual.

BTW, have never had this sync-ing prob with my '79 GS850G VMs, or with my shop's parts-bin-discovery of some smooth-bores now on that engine... or any other of the Big Four Nipponese scoots I work on.

Comment

Originally posted by wmhudgens View Post
                      Marvelous work, sir. Being a new member, I searched the FAQs and found that posting. Sadly for moi & my 1982 GS1100GK2/USA (BS carbs), the idle adjustment screw setting says "preset". That's all I've ever seen, been told or discovered. All the other specs are spot on for my ride.

Anyone out there happen to know what that "preset" number of turns was-is? It pops, spits and snarls at all 1/4-turns up to 2-1/2 turns out.

This scooter was a provebial barn find, after someone decided to see what was inside the 4 carbs, and engine. Now I've the devil of a time getting those 4 things sync-d. And, yes, I have a factory-original manometer and the factory manual.

BTW, have never had this sync-ing prob with my '79 GS850G VMs, or with my shop's parts-bin-discovery of some smooth-bores now on that engine... or any other of the Big Four Nipponese scoots I work on.
                      If they are 34mm CV's, i think 2 1/2turns out used to be the norm from memory, at least on the Katana 34mm Cv Carbs.

Comment

The airbox and filter must be on, must not be leaking air (sealed properly) and any rubber snorkels or whatever must also be present. If you have pods then you will not be able to use standard jettings. The carburettors must be cleaned, preferably dipped overnight and all rubber o-rings replaced as well as any intake o-rings if used.

It goes without saying, that the valve clearances, spark, and compression must also be in order.
                        If the above is not in order you will be chasing your own tail, when trying to adjust the idle mixture

Comment

well just think i found the problem with the gs im working on, 3.5 turns back for a mixture screw is really far tho (i was going by the gs550 vm carbs but the bike i have is a 550e with cvs!) duh!

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
                            I found this in my service manual.
                            It is for GS750 1976-1979 ,GS550 1977 - 1982

Check the Engine no. ,not frame no. Look for the differences on the same model!!!

I hope it will help
                            Im finding all this sooo strange because the Suzuki service manual that originally came with my GS750B 1977 say, and the actual settings on the bike were:

VM26SS
                            Main Jet: 105
                            Air Jet: 1.1
                            Needle Jet: P-1
                            Jet Needle: 5F21-3
                            Pilot Jet:22.5
                            Pilot air jet: 1.6
                            Cutaway: 2.5
                            air screw: 1-1/4 turns back

but with that information and my engine number (which my dealer verified is original to my bike frame) it would be

VM26SS
                            Main Jet: 100
                            Air Jet: .7
                            Needle Jet: O-6
                            Jet Needle: 5F21-3
                            Pilot Jet:15
                            Pilot air jet: 1.6
                            Cutaway: 1.6
                            air screw: 1 turn back

My Clymer manual doesnt give any details at all, I guess they decided not to because of so many variables.....

So what should I believe???
                            Last edited by GS750; 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM.
                            Regards,
                            Andy
                            Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
                            Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

GS1100G series carb specs

It'll take a few days due to spotty internet connectivity, but I'd welcome "doing" the carb specs for the 82-83 GS1100 2-valve series of models. I have a Factory Service Manual and hardcopy of the microfische. I also have a FSM (no fische, but that's all on the internet anyhow) for early (points/condenser, kick-start) GS850 series, too. I read some of the the thread, but got lost in all the web-lingo. What format, sent to whom?

Comment

Working...
                              X