Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 1000G carb intake boots, which way is up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 1000G carb intake boots, which way is up?

Hey all, putting the intake boots on for my 1980 1000G. I can see the boots are marked R and L but which way is up? I'm trying to figure it out by mounting the airbox and carbs but can't really tell which way is up. They have a definite angle change depending on which way you mount them. Appreciate any help as always.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

I think they angle down. I'll go look at mine and tell ya for sure. Be back in a minute or two.

Buddy
    09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
    83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
    81 GS650G for the wife.
    82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
    I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
    If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
    Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
      I think they angle down. I'll go look at mine and tell ya for sure. Be back in a minute or two.

Buddy
      Nope, I was wrong. They angle up. Best I can tell the letter marking the left and right goes to the top. That should be the thin side of the boot.

Buddy
      09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
      83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
      81 GS650G for the wife.
      82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
      I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
      If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
      Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Gotta love this site, 18 mins later I have an answer, thanks 'Buddy'.
        Rob
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

When a part has a marking, it always goes up or forward.

It's sort of a universal mechanical rule.

For example, some bikes have a dimple on the handlebar clamps, which means that end goes forward.

On intake boots, the "R" or "L" faces up.

This shows a GS850 intake boot, but the idea is the same:
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Good rule to know, thanks. Hey, I've never seen an intake boot for a GS that has the vacuum port directly on the boot, I though they all were on the head.
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              I've never seen an intake boot for a GS that has the vacuum port directly on the boot, I though they all were on the head.
              Most of my GSes are 850 and 650, they are all in the boot.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 550 is on the boot too. Personally I think it is the easiest place to get an air leak since you can tighten that screw too much
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

As a follow up to this thread. I installed the boots with the lettering up. Installed the carbs and the air box turning out to be a real bugger to get on. The two mounting bolts were almost impossible to line up. I remember on my 78 850 the airbox was always like butter going in. I had to take the head off again so on the second time around I installed the intake boots with the lettering down and low and behold the airbox went on like butter. Weird.
                  Rob

Comment

Working...
                  X