Fine tuning the mid range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fine tuning the mid range

Ok carbs all rebuilt all new o rings including the ones between the head and carb boots now I have a stumble around 6500rpm if you get past it the it runs great was curious if the needle height is the key to eliminating this or is there something I am missing

Also is there a way to tell if its a lean stumble or a too rich stumble I believe it to be a to lean stumble but if I raise the needle it doesent get better should I try the stock needles?

Comment

Better yet anyone live in northeast pa who wants to take a crack at this I'm stumped

Comment

do a mid range plug chop and see what colour the plug is. that will tell you if it is to rich or to lean
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Breaks up so chop test would be tough

Comment

well thats the only way to tell if it is rich or lean so it looks like you are stuck with guessing and see what happens
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Would running it right in the rpm range before it breaks up and doing the chop test there show anything? What about all the other things I suggested no other input? Or suggestions

Comment

I use the choke- if nothing happens when you hit it at the stumble point- your already rich.

Comment

nice

good idea ill try that i am thinking the main jets are too large now might drop down to the 114s if thats the case

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                  I use the choke- if nothing happens when you hit it at the stumble point- your already rich.

Comment

figured it out running great now thanks for all the help

Comment

What was the fix?
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        What was the fix?
                        Evidently, just a lot of guessing.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

fix was puting in the smaller jets that came with the dynojet kit moving the needle all the way up and removing the access door to the air box now it runs just a minuet amount rich. took a bike course with it on sunday and been riding it the past two days its great. no guessing just continual testing to achieve the correct solution

Comment

Thanks for coming back and posting the results. Until we saw what you did, the only thing we had to go by was a lot of guessing and questioning.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

no problem it was only after alot of help form you all that i got the right answer just wish the kit had some smaller needles i am guessing this kit was designed around having pods on the bike not a k and n factory replacement

Comment

Working...
                              X