Fuel out the exhaust #3 cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel out the exhaust #3 cylinder

Ok. Ive cleaned the carbs, and used sea foam. Synchronized the carbs with the petcock vacuum to #3 before I did this there wasn't gas coming out the exhaust. I have the aftermarket pods. And I have not gotten. The stage 3 jet kit yet. Runs good besides that. Good compression. I'm stumped has anyone else had this issue

How about a bad petcock leaking fuel down vac line and fouling #3? block vac line off at petcock, run on "PR" and see what happens. Don't forget to put petcock back in "ON" or "RES"
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Crystal View Post
      Synchronized the carbs with the petcock vacuum to #3 before I did this ...
      Whoever taught you that little trick is probably responsible for the fuel out the #3 exhaust pipe.

But I do have to ask, ...
      if you have stock exhaust, #3 and #4 exhaust pipes come together before going through the muffler.
      If you have a header, all four pipes come together before going through the muffler.
      How can you tell it's #3 that has the fuel in it?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey, you know he's got 4 open pipes to match the pods. Good thing you didn't ask about his carb cleaning method!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well I can tell its #3 because that pipe for that cylinder is cold the other three are hot. And I didn't have the gas issue till I connected the petcock vacuum line up. So maybe bad petcock? I'm headed home, going to change the plugs. And pinch the line off or completely remove it and re synch the carbs. I know I need a jet kit with the pods. What difference does the jet kit make?

Comment

Petcocks often fail like this (mine did), so be suspicious! You're waiting on a dynojet kit? What brand of pods? what kind of exhaust system?
            1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Hey, you know he's got 4 open pipes to match the pods.
              How could I possibly know that?

His only mention of 'exhaust' was in the title: "Fuel out the exhaust #3 cylinder."
              For all I know, there is nothing connected and he's talking about the exhaust PORTS on the cylinder head.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Mark
                As well as the things mentioned it could also be that when you reassembled the carbs, the Needle and seat (fuel valve) in the carb is "hanging up" which is flooding No.3. Also is there any chance you could have switched the fuel and vacuum lines to the petcock or at the carbs when you reconnected everything? What ever the problem is, the new jet kit will not fix it but you may see what the problem is when you install the jets. I've never heard of syncing carbs using the petcock vacuum so maybe you want to clarify this or give us a link or something to show us. Let us know how you go because I had a similar problem before I pulled the carbs off but haven't got a far as stripping down number 3.

Comment

I have fuel coming out 3/4, I still have that collection point on pipes. And, it uses tons of fuel.

Comment

just looked closer, there is fuel dripping from air pod on carb 3 (2nd in from throttle side). Any ideas why it would be doing this?

Vacuum petcock is stupid too, what a lame invention. Put an in line fuel shut off so I can take off tank without a bath.

Comment

"...air pod on carb 3 (2nd in from throttle side). Any ideas why it would be doing this?"

Do you have a stupid vacuum petcock line connected to #3 carb? VM carbs? maybe fuel is running down the vac line and overfilling that carb. In your case , sounds like your petcock has died.

P.S. I love my vacuum petcock but it does require changing after 30 years.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by harshjay View Post
                        Vacuum petcock is stupid too, what a lame invention. Put an in line fuel shut off so I can take off tank without a bath.
                        Actually the vacuum petcock is a WONDERFUL invention.

It allows you to take off the tank without taking a bath, because it shuts the fuel off for you.

If yours does not turn off when you turn off the engine, it needs to be fixed or replaced.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Is it just me or did anyone else , catch that this thread was started by a Mark Crystal and ended with a Harshjay jumping in so we have mixed info to work with
                          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                            Is it just me or did anyone else , catch that this thread was started by a Mark Crystal and ended with a Harshjay jumping in so we have mixed info to work with
                            Lol, Multiple personalities?

Comment

Yea, very bad petcock. And the float tab was bent more then the other ones. And I'm needing new jets. Anyone have an idea of what size I should use? It has the stock jets. Also has individual air filters.

Comment

Working...
                              X