Fuel out the exhaust #3 cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Crystal View Post
    Yea, very bad petcock. And the float tab was bent more then the other ones. And I'm needing new jets. Anyone have an idea of what size I should use? It has the stock jets. Also has individual air filters.
    Can you see any brand name on these pods (some are apparently pitiful)? And what type of exhaust are you running? You'll have to increase main jets over stock; here's a chart showing stock sizes

Basscliff's site has lots of info- someone will show up and point you in direction regarding jet size increase
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I just had the same thing happen. I assumed it was a stuck float, I had just cleaned them and reinstalled them.

Fired up first kick but once it warmed up #3 exhaust started to drip gas. The petcock doesnt leak when I disconnect the hoses so I figured it was working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGreen View Post

Fired up first kick but once it warmed up #3 exhaust started to drip gas. The petcock doesnt leak when I disconnect the hoses so I figured it was working properly.
        But when vacuum is applied to petcock, the diaphragm might leak down to #3. For a simple test, put a clear vinyl hose on petcock vac fitting and suck on it- beware!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          But when vacuum is applied to petcock, the diaphragm might leak down to #3. For a simple test, put a clear vinyl hose on petcock vac fitting and suck on it- beware!
          If you run this test, get a nice long piece of tubing and loop it. That way you can see the fuel prior to ingesting it, and stop the test if any fuel appears in the line.

Comment

gonna give it a shot today

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
              Is it just me or did anyone else , catch that this thread was started by a Mark Crystal and ended with a Harshjay jumping in so we have mixed info to work with
              Hey, we have a 3rd now, BigGreen. Perhaps we can kill 3 petcocks with one thread.

Comment

I disconnected the petcock vacuum and took the carbs apart again and made sure everything was properly measured. Now the third exhaust pipe is cooler than the rest like its not firing. And there’s smoke out the exhaust sometimes. And I believe there’s now fuel in the oil. Maybe from flooding when the petcock vacuum was on and the fuel was entering from there. But the bike does run tons better since redoing the carb. Compression is good on all cylinders; the #3 is a little lower but not much. Any guesses? lol Never smoked this much before.

Comment

Guesses??? why, that's what some of us do everyday! You disconnected petcock vac line and plugged it ( so #3 carb isn't sucking air thru that fitting),right and you're not leaving your petcock on "PR" spot when it ain't running, right???? Unless you change oil, it will take a while of smoking to clear gas out of crankcase oil
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

If #3 is still running cold, check for spark on that cly. If no spark or weak spark, unscrew the cap, cut about 1/4" off the wire and screw the cap back on and recheck. Do not forget to look into the cap and check the connections there which can be cleaned with vinager. Do one..do em all.
                    V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

No I didn't plug that vacuum line! on the carb. Ill try that and clean the caps with vinegar. Change the oil and see what happens!

Comment

Seems like everything in order but when I drive it, no smoke, but when I stop the bike it pours out gas and oil out the right exhaust. #3 still cold 10/40 In it. Maybe something wrong with that carb?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Crystal View Post
                          Seems like everything in order but when I drive it, no smoke, but when I stop the bike it pours out gas and oil out the right exhaust. #3 still cold 10/40 In it. Maybe something wrong with that carb?
                          Just for clarification, "when I stop the bike", does that mean you come to a stop but leave the engine idleing? Or does it mean you stop the engine, also?

And when "it pours out gas and oil out the right exhaust", I'm envisioning a large puddle begins to form on the ground. Do you think it is gas colored black by carbon from the muffler, or does it actually have an oily feel?
                          And smells like gas?

Has the oil level in the crankcase risen since you changed the oil?

Pull the spark plugs and how does #3 look different compared to the other three?

Do a WET float check on the carbs to see what they are doing while the engine is running.

Comment

I guess it's gas with carbon because it does dry fast but leave a black residue. It was not doing this before I took the carbs apart and put the jets at factory setting and the top bolts that change the heights for the diaphragms? Yes the oil level has risen since I've done this, and when I stop and idle it does not pour out. Maybe sprays a little out the middle of the exhaust. And smokes, but when I stop it pours with a compression test that cylander is a little lower but not much to make a difference. Ill do a wet float check today

Comment

All the other plugs look great, bike has a lot of power. #3 is cleaner then the rest, probably from to much fuel. When I took the carbs apart past time, you know there are two holes on top do those go to the vents or vacuum? The top right one looks a little scratched up like someone was digging in there. Is that a possibility that's the culprit?

Comment

I changed all the innards to carb three to 4 and 4 to three. And still #3 is cold as ice after driving and gas spuing out. Don't know what else to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X