No announcement yet.

Cant read shim number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a .02mm shim wont fit then you need to go down at lease 1 shim size. It could be two sizes but only if the shim gap is really less then 0. If you can rotate the shim then one size should do it. I purchased a shim that was less then any one needed so that I could use it as a reference. Using that shim allowed me to measure the real gap on the really tight shims.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The equation worked great. I completed the project and the bike is running much better.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2013, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
        Those odd numbers were the measurement with cailpers. round up would be the actual number.
        Yup. While calipers show a fairly realistic number, a mike will show a more true number. Overall, however, the number when the new shim is installed and the number is measured will tell all.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
          Now I sent steve a email request I think that is what you were referring too.
          Yes, he sent me a request, then mentioned that he found an on-line calculation and told me that he didn't need it.

So much for thirsty horses.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yanno, I just do em in my head too. But an online formula? Rocket science.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Although the math portion of my spreadsheet helps some of the newbies, I think its greater value is in the long-term record keeping. You have a record of what shims are in there and which valves are getting close to needing a shim change. By seeing what the adjustments have been for the last several sessions, you can determine whether you can stretch out the interval a bit. I have space for 25 valve checks, so that is at least 75-100,000 miles, depending on whether you subscribe to the "every 3000" or the "every 4000" miles school of thought.
              If you feel comfortable stretching out the intervals a bit as things stabilize, the spreadsheet will go even farther than that.

799 users so far, including 47 states of the USA and 18 other countries.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Well, I'm not quite ready for it, but just to get you over the 800 mark......

Mail sent, and thanks for providing the service!
                1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                  Well, I'm not quite ready for it, but just to get you over the 800 mark......

Mail sent, and thanks for providing the service!
                  It will just give you that much more time to play with it and get used to it.

Looks like the mailman is swimming slowly today, have not seen it yet.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X