Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold weather starting: flooding or no fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold weather starting: flooding or no fuel?

I decided to take the bike into work today. It was about 60F out this morning so I was a little hesitant since I've been having issues with starting the bike below 80F temps.

Being cold, I walked out with my coffee, put the key in, pulled the choke up, and she started right up no problems. I ran it for a minute or two until warm and then went inside to grab my stuff. I rode into work no problem around 930AM.

Now around 3PM, I decide to go home for a bit. Confident, I put the key in and try to start the bike. I do not pull the choke up. It doesn't start.

I try about 3 or 4 times. The bike will turn over and it will even trick me for a split second that there's fire before cutting off.

Then, like an idiot, I pull the choke and try again. Still nothing, only now I can smell fuel.

ENTER CARB-SMART(ER) Colleague. He drives a 84 honda shadow.

"It't not getting any fuel."

"No, I think I pulled the choke too late so the plugs are soaked."

"...Maybe."

Now, we're both sitting inside. We've tried starting the bike several times, with no luck. I've pulled the filter panels off and tried to vent some of the excess fuel. I've waited 15 minutes and tried again. Hell, we even tried push starting it.

Still nothing, and now my battery is starting to die.

So we're going to seminar here in a few and I'll try to start again at 5PM.

My question for anyone bored enough to read this: should I try starting it with the choke up or without? Any extra tips are also much appreciated as I need to get home ASAP and let the dog out.

plugs probably fouled so will need cleaning,spin engine over with out plugs in to clear excess fuel then try half choke

Comment

You did not mention doing so, but ... did you turn the throttle at all while trying to start?

If using the "choke", do NOT use any throttle.

If NOT using the "choke", it's OK to use some throttle.

If you suspect it is flooded, hold the throttle wide open while cranking to vent the cylinders.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What bike you got?
        This is what I do with the 850.

If the clutch cover case is still warm to the bare hand I will try starting with no choke and a little throttle. It almost always works but can be rough and I sometimes put on half choke after starting.
        If the bike is cold but the day is 60F or over I will try with half choke first.
        Less than 60F I will always start a cold bike with full choke.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions. We did get it running. I had to use full choke and push start. The battery was nice and dead.

I'm sure I'll make the choke mistake again a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by poorgradstudent View Post
            I'm sure I'll make the choke mistake again a few times.
            You are a grad student and you actually PLAN to repeat your mistakes?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Sometimes you just have to beat a dead end into the ground, Steve, just to prove to a supervisor that something doesn't work
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Well, yeah. For me I always to fail, fail, fail, fail some more, and just keep on failing until I finally get it right.

I didn't say I was smart...

Comment

Originally posted by poorgradstudent View Post
                  Well, yeah. For me I always to fail, fail, fail, fail some more, and just keep on failing until I finally get it right.
                  [Robertson:] We're gonna bring out another friend of ours nowTo do this tune with Mac; Bobby Charles Great, great, great song writer, Bobby Charles[Robertson...

Just for you 2:16 Enjoy.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

You guys shoud try a little maintenance. You shouldn't need full choke until it's cold out, like 20F or so.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      You guys shoud try a little maintenance. You shouldn't need full choke until it's cold out, like 20F or so.
                      Yep. Something's wrong.

A properly set up GS should start instantly no matter what. Cranking gets a little slow below below zero, but it'll still fire up just fine. The ride's kinda rough for a few miles until the fork oil warms up.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Make sure you have full battery voltage going to the coils. Makes it tougher to start if there isn't proper voltage.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I went back through your introductory thread, and the bike looks very nice. Unfortunately, cosmetics speak nothing for what is happening internally.

I'd like to add, if you haven't done it already, in addition to checking voltage at the coils, pop the valve cover off, and measure your valve clearances. That is definitely a point from which you need to start the rest of your maintenance.

If you haven't seen it, you should read through Nessism's very informative, and sometimes entertaining, Newbie thread:

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                          X