Help with petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with petcock

My petcock has never work properly. It flows no matter what the position of the valve. I rebuilt the carbs, cleaned the tank, and it runs well now but I'm having a problem with the petcock. I dis assembled it and it was in bad shape. The diaphragm was in pieces. On the valve side there were two thin metal pieces that were just loose inside there. I don't know how they are suppose to be positioned. Does anyone know how these pieces are suppose to fit together?

Those little pieces are springs that fit down into the bottom of the main body. Never seen them come loose like that. Good luck. Consider buying a new assembly.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That petcock is junk
      Spend the money and get another one.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah, petcocks are kind of important, what with a few gallons of flamable liquids an inch in front of your balls, a couple inches above a large mass of hot metal, and even hotter pipes, with thirty year old wires containing sparks running through the area. Big powerful sparks.

Get a new petcock and forget about it for another thirty years.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yup that one is junk. Ease your pain and buy a new one.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Picked up a used one at a salvage yard for $5. Once I opened it up I discovered I got lucky because looks like it had recently been rebuild--filter screen and diaphragm look new.

Comment

Good luck. Many have had issues with rebuilds.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

It depends on the model. On some the rebuild kits don't fit at all, on others they work fine if the petcock isn't too corroded. If it works for $5 you done good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The petcock works fine. Moving on to my next obstacle. The bike came with Uni pods so I need to resolve jetting issue. It runs okay while it's cold but once it warms up it will not pull past 5K rpms. Gonna shim the jet needle and figure out the jetting--but that will be another thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X