No announcement yet.

gs 750 starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like he didn't know Jack. It won't get any fuel at all if a vent line is hooked up to the petcock vacuum port.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

if i was flooding it wouldnt it smoke when i got it to start? like a truck

Comment

Originally posted by 79gs750 View Post
        if i was flooding it wouldnt it smoke when i got it to start? like a truck

I would suggest doing what Steve said, especially the valve adjustments. Go over your manual or get a hold of one and go over how your lines are meant to be attached, check your spark plugs and connectors.

Good luck.

Comment

d

okay i fixed the vaccum line on petcock, figured out which line hooks to it.. got fuel going in carbs without holdin hand on carbs... so thats working now. okay here is my question now, with air box off, which i cant get on because of the connectors being so hard. will it make it where im not gettin the amount of fuel to start and too much air? because i ask because i can put my hand over it carb for a second and it get enough fuel it cranks right up....

Comment

valve adjustment

okay im pretty sure i got everything set to specifications,, except the valves im thinking about trying to tackle it myself... i need someones input or manual or somethying lol i need help... and before i attempt this wat do i need?

Comment

It sounds like you never received a Megawelcome

Go to the GS Owners section and check out the greeting sticky

Go to Cliff's site and download a manual

Then read the Valve adjustment -8 valve tutorial

and especially check the Top 10 Newbie Mistakes and see how you rate
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Carb adjustments, etc

Hi,

I have a gs750e 1983 I just installed PODs and a 4 into 1 exhaust...

Here's a you tube vid of it running:
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

If you need help let me know.

FYI:

I installed 125 Main Jets
                I lowered the clips of the needle jets to the 4th position - makes it richer
                I adjusted the fuel mixture screw 2 3/4 turns out.

With the stock main jets (117.5) and the needle clip at 3rd position...your bike won't start without the air box installed...or if it does it will run like **** (way too lean)

For testing purposes place a wet towel over the carb intakes and try starting it...you can also double fold the towel (or triple) to give you resistance to mimic the air box resistance...

Dave

Comment

info

nice bike coolio... my bike runs great after u get it started,, ihave a 4 into 1 header pipe no muffler,, wat would u suggest for the settings on carbs? i have no filters right now thinkin of buying the pods but not sure wat size my carbs r? and any help woulld be appreciated... thanks alot im ready for this thing to run and start right...

Comment

Your Carbs

Hey gs79gs750,

Sure I can help you out with it. Answer these questions for me:

How long have you owned it?
                    Have you as the owner ever had it running?
                    You say it runs? Does it only run with the choke on?

About your bike...you need to determine the carburetors installed on the bike, then lookup the stock setting for the carbs as a first step.

Get the VIN number and engine numbers off the bike.

I probably have a manual so I could look up the settings etc for. I have a manual in pdf format I can send you. email me at: info@mybikes.ca I will send you a copy.

Once this is done you need to remove the carbs from the bike.

Take the carbs apart and clean them. You'll need to learn how to do this...

Record the current settings of your carbs, main jets installed, what position the clip is installed on the needle jet. Checkout youtube
                    for carb cleaning videos.

Your bike will not run properly and may not even start without the airbox or pod filters installed because it sucks far too much air in with the gas. Wet a towel and place it over the carb intake openings...then try strarting the bike.

The carburetors job is to give the engine a 14:1 ratio of air to gas mixture.
                    The airbox, exhaust and carb settings are all setup to give the engine this exact fuel ratio mixture.
                    If you change one thing you screw up the mix and have to re-adjust the carb setting to achieve this.

Anyways, get going with that stuff and I can help you through it.

Dave

Comment

Why would you look on YouTube for carb cleaning when we have the best tutorial available here?
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Why? Why not...

For the visual...

Comment

Working...