GS1100 petcock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 petcock question

Hi guys. I started out on this forum well over 6 years ago but haven't been on in the last 8 or 9 months so I lost my account. I still have my 79 GS850 shaft.
    Anyway my question is...I am working on a 1980 GS1100 with BS carbs. The BS carbs are new to me and the bike has had the petcock pulled apart and a snowmobile shutoff put in line. Does the petcock need to be intact for this bike to start. I understand these carbs work on vacuum. I have checked and know that the carbs are getting fuel but the plugs are dry unless I put my hand over the end of the carb.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The original petcock was vacuum operated but as long as you have a shutoff you will have fuel when its on. The vacuum Hookup on the carbs that fed the old should be blocked. Take the drains on the carbs & loosen then up to see if youre getting fuel first. They will probably not run at all or very badly with the airbox off unless its been jetted for pods. Let us know what you find & we will help you. Need more info, how long has bike set since it ran, is gas good etc

Comment

Fuel is fresh. Carbs are jetted for pods. There is fuel in the bowls. When I crack the bottom screw it pours gas. Spark plugs are dry. If I put my hand over carb end the bike tries to start but just blows a huge flame out the exhaust. I tore down the carbs, dunked and put back together. I didn't touch the air screw though.

Comment

Check your plug wires are on right. If they are, sounds like a timing issue.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

First thing I checked was plug wires, firing order and coils. As far as the timing goes, the service manual says that there is no timing to set....or is there?

Comment

If you're getting a flame out the exhaust, it is firing on an open exhaust valve.
            Sure you haven't crossed a plug wire or two ?

Comment

I am not 100% sure. I read 1&4 on 1 coil and 2&3 on the other. Firing order is 1,2,4,3 from left side to right.

Comment

Others will chim in on what maintenance needs to be done. you need to put some kind of an air box, pods or a rag would be better then your hand.
                81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Thanks. I did put the pods back on.
                  As far as coils and wires go:
                  Left coil.
                  #1 cylinder is bottom of coil. #4 cylinder is top of coil.

Right coil
                  #2 cylinder is top of coil. #3 cylinder is bottom of coil

Hope that makes sense.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2014, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I,m thinking you might have the coils wrong.left coil #1 top #4 bottom, right coil #3 top #2 bottom look im your manualif you have one,i could look in the am.

Comment

I don't have a manual for this bike. I just picked it up a few days ago. If you wouldn't mind looking tomorrow it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

What manual were you referrin to in your other posts?

Comment

It is an online PDF file from a website.

Comment

It was only for a GS1000 though.

Comment

A forum member Basscliff has a great site with your manual, go to the contacts and you will find him.

Comment

Working...
                              X