No announcement yet.

New air filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so I have the DJ Stage 3 kit, and now I really need to decide if I'm going with pods or a stock airbox. I found a stock airbox, but it is missing some things, whic will probably total ~$120. My original plan was to go with the APE pods which are ~$75 shipped. So, as far as reliability, driveability, and varying weather conditions go, which should I choose? I'm not concerned about power. I Just want the most reliable option.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
      Okay, so I have the DJ Stage 3 kit, and now I really need to decide if I'm going with pods or a stock airbox. I found a stock airbox, but it is missing some things, whic will probably total ~$120. My original plan was to go with the APE pods which are ~$75 shipped. So, as far as reliability, driveability, and varying weather conditions go, which should I choose? I'm not concerned about power. I Just want the most reliable option.
      Go with the airbox if you want the most reliable option.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

That's what I figured. I just don't think the time invested with pods is going to make me happy in the end. I want to be able to ride in a downpour and crosswinds.

Comment

I've ridden pods through a hurricane, no problem. Just sayin'.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

k&n also has the warranty. i personally use a k&n in every vehicle i drive. i don't think that either the kz1000m1 or the gs650g will get pods. the only reason i'd go pods is to gain more space under the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
              the only reason i'd go pods is to gain more space under the seat.
              Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to do with all that space under the seat?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So once I re-build my carbs this weekend, can I test them without pods or an airbox on? I would love to hear her start back up, but I might have to wait even more :/ I know in order to tune it I will need the airbox connected, correct?

Comment

What would testing it achieve when you know it will not run right until you get it back together properly? If they have compression, fuel and spark, they are capable if running. How about getting all the necessary maintenance and adjustments and parts in place so it will make proper noise when it starts up.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Patience...

I've had to exercise more of that in the last 3 months with my "new" old bike than I've had to in 17 years of riding and 4 other bikes.

Comment

Working...
                    X