Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro to carbs?

Hello all.

I am on the road to getting my bike up and running and know for a fact that (when it was moving) it was running lean. Since I am already wrenching on it, I want to fix that fact.

It has pods, and I will be getting a 4-1, so I know I need a stage 3 kit. I have found freshly cleaned and assembled carbs which come with a Stage 3, but not installed.

1) After reviewing the basic carb functionality post in one of the sticky's above, the Stage 3 is just changing out the needles and such, correct? So it would be just getting the box with the carbs and then open up, swap parts out, close it up?

2) Freshly cleaned and assembled carbs doesn't mean tuned. So I need to bench-sync them, then put them on the bike, start it, and sync it again? What is the "sync tool" called and where can I get one in a store? AutoZone had no idea what I was talking about.

3) Are there any Army-proof guides to the above steps? I'm hoping the DynoJet kit comes with decent instructions but since it's not from the company it may not.

Hoping to be back on the road in the next month or so! Thanks all.

Year and model?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Pick up a Morgan Carbtune found at www.carbtune.com as it's the forum favorite and you will use it quite often. Exchange rate will put it around $115 shipped and make sure to get the tool to go with it. You'll want to pick up the metal vacuum port adapters from Z1 as the plastic work but aren't great.

Have you been to Basscliff's site yet (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff)? You'll find the carb cleaning guides there.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        ... and make sure to get the tool to go with it.
        "Tool"???

How about "CASE".
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          "Tool"???

How about "CASE".
          Yea, that too

carbtool

The screwdriver can be turned while you hold the nut steady
          and vice versa

End view shows the 8mm socket with the screwdriver head
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

OK, the first suggestion left a bit to the imagination.

"Get the Carbtune and the tool to go with it" or something like that.

That tool (which is very helpful) does not come with the Carbtune, and has to be purchased elsewhere. Z1 Enterprises is a good source.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome. Got them both, and I am actually getting freshly cleaned carbs since I need the Dynojet Stage 3 anyways. Spend a little more up-front and then this winter I will dig into my old carbs and clean them up to sell.

Comment

Working...
              X