Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clogged airbox passage-ever seen this?

1981 GS850G

While cleaning the airbox, I found the passage leading from the spigot for cam cover vent hose to the airbox was about 95% clogged with brown rusty/oily/caked up crud. This was not overtly visible & I guess I missed the possibility in the past even tho the airbox had been well cleaned(or so I thought) a few times in the past.

Here's a pic of the passage;

Maybe everyone but me is aware of this but imagine my surprise so I thought I'd just pass it on for general info.

BTW since I take it that this is about the same as having that vent hose pinched off, what effect might it have on how bike runs?

Thanks, if you picked this bit up on another post of mine, I apologize for being redundant, just wish I had seen something about this years ago & I would have checked it. Hate to say I was all but unconscious of this passage.

DH

Shouldn't effect the engine running other then possibly some additional oil leakage because of excessive crank case pressure.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Seen it many times. As others here have said in other threads, the carbs suck unburnt fuel and blowby gases back thru for reburning. They also say the little oily mist thats in the mix help to lube the carb slides. In any case just poke the crud out with a screw driver and clean behind the baffle as best you can and be good to go.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Agreed - it's been seen many times, but it's a great reminder!

When this clogs completely, it can actually cause oil leaks as blowby pressurizes the engine.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
        X