Carb-airbox rubber bodges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb-airbox rubber bodges?

I can see daylight between at least one of my carb-to-airbox rubbers when I look inside the airbox. I phone Robinsons to get a price for new ones: £16-odd EACH, nearly £70 for 4! Therefore I'm hoping somebody has got some experience with successfully bodging leaks on these. The rubbers themselves don;t appear cracked or too hard, so I'm thinking about trying to neatly apply some sort of sealant - the question is, what sort? Ordinary silicone instant gasket stuff? Or some kind of special rubber sealant if there is any?

I'm ready for a telling off for not doing the job properly, but I just can't afford this kind of expense right now. And I'm guessing I'm not the first person to hope for a cheaper solution to this issue.

The only way you'll have the piece of mind that your bike is running well is to replace them.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

What he said

You should always budget a few hundred for rubber bits, they're 30 years old
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'm playing the devil's advocate here, but if you need to save up for a bit to get the new airbox boots, a brake fluid soak might rejuvenate them for long enough to save some coin and get some seat time. Otherwise chuck the coin at Robinsons and get the new boots. But remember, the brake fluid is only a temporary get you by, and by no means a long term fix

Comment

Have you tried your local Suzuki dealer, I got all mine from the local Suzuki bike shop over the counter. Saved $40 on postage to boot (pun intended)

Comment

If you are aghast at the price of those rubber bits, you had better hope the ones on the other side of the carbs are in good shape.

Depending on the bike, they are between 2 and 3 times the price.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The carb-to-head rubbers LOOK ok, but I haven't done any more than look at them fitted yet. I certainly can't see any signs of cracking or perishing, but I realise things might look different once they're off and closely examined.

I must admit, I naively imagined getting a classic Japanese bike would be less of a money pit than the old Brit bikes I'm used to - not the case at all it seems! At least my Tiger 750 has only one carb and no rubber bits...

Comment

The only bodge here is to reach into your wallet and extract a plastic rectangle with numbers on it...

Just FYI, RTV deteriorates pretty rapidly in the presence of gasoline vapor. Not even worth a a try, as many have learned.

Also, you'll be astonished at the difference when you get the new bits -- they're a lot larger. The old ones have been steadily shrinking for 30+ years.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I did what you said and it kind of fits the gap I s'pose, but now I need some cash out f the machine and don't know what to do....

Comment

Working...
                  X