No announcement yet.

Cock problems, GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I've never understood the advantage of these vacuum operated taps anyway - is there any?"

Sure, once put in "on" spot, just leave it there- no need to remember to turn it off when visiting your favorite watering hole ,so no fears of petrol overpowering float seats and dumping gas first thru carbs, then engine- bad news!
    There are two versions of the standard 44 mm spacing petcock- the slighty more expensive one has more reserve capacity (higher pickup) which is probably what you want.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      You're the one calling bread pudding "Dick"
      Fair point!

Comment

Remember the old days of the GSR forum, when we'd have entire conversations about "pet****s", thanks to a slightly overzealous naughty filter?

The vacuum-operated petcock is important because the float valves in the carbs are not designed to and are not capable of holding back a tank of gas while the bike is parked. They're usually fine over a lunch or something, but given a couple of days, even float valves in perfect condition will seep fuel into the crankcase.

So unless you have the sort of brain that never, ever, not once, forgets to turn the fuel off or on, at some point you're going to end up with gas (sorry, petrol) all over your garage floor, or you're going to grab a handful of throttle and the bike will wheeze and die, usually with a speeding truck (sorry, lorry) filling your rear view mirrors.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Being used to old British bikes, remembering to turn petrol (sorry, gas) taps on and off at the appropriate times comes naturally. Nonetheless I'd prefer to fix the tap I've got or replace it with another the same that works.

By the way, what do you call the stuff that makes gas ovens work in America?

Comment

We call it "natural gas".

Usually referred to simply as " gas " because obviously no one will run a stove on gasoline (petroleum distillate).

Comment

There seems to be a vast range of petrol taps for Suzukis. Why didn't they make just one tap to fit all models? I guess I'm too accustomed to Brit bikes where some parts were used for 45 years on almost all models.

The problem I'm facing is that of all the dozens of possible petrol taps I've found on ebay etc, None are the same as what I've got. Which is the type which has the tap 'handle' with a see-through hole in it (as if you're meant to look through it to see whether you're on Pri, On or Res).

Re-measured the distance between centres of the fixing screws today. It looks like either 44 or 45mm between centres.

Does the above info mean anything to anyone? Anyone happen to have a part number and/or a suggestion for where (In UK) I might buy one?

Comment

"Re-measured the distance between centres of the fixing screws today. It looks like either 44 or 45mm between centres."

how about removing petcock and measuring exactly! If 44 mm, you got plenty of options and don't worry about hole-in-handle stuff. If 45 mm, I could make a 44 unit fit, but you might be adverse to filing.
                The 44 mm units are available in two "lengths" of fuel pickup inside tank- one has more reserve capacity, probably what you want.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Did you read my post no. 12 Jon? The GS only had two bolt spacings and yours is 44mm. The 50mm tap is very different. They made several different taps of 44mm spacing designed to fit the tank and clear the tops of the carbs. I'm pretty sure that the tap I linked to in post 12 will fit (it will plug the hole and clear the carbs) the only issue you might have (and I don't think you will) is with the fuel outlet attaching on the other side of the tap.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Great info H-Hog, I must have either missed your post on this or my brain forgot it under the tsunami of facts and figures the poor thing has had to process about this bike! If I can find a tap that'll do the job, for less than about £45, I'll be happy.

The reason I haven't taken it off to inspect properly is that things need to be done in some sort of order. As the tank has about 15 litres of petrol in it, task no.1 is to drain it. Another good reason is that at present, the bodge with the in-line manual tap and the proper tap left alone is working. Until I get a proper replacement, I'm reluctant to disturb it for fear I can't get a proper replacement and the old one won't go back without leaking.

EDIT: I've just looked at post no.12 H-Hog, and I see it's a US site. There's no part number, so difficult to try to order from anywhere in UK?
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

You'll have no problem buying that from Z1. They post very quickly (add just a day or two to what you'd expect if buying in the UK) and are very highly regarded by members here (and Jeff Saunders who runs the place is a member here). I've bought a fair amount from them and they're as good as they get
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

http://www.discountbikespares.co.uk/...850-GS750.html This site states pretty definitely that the mounting screw centres are 45mm. I realise 1mm split between two is only 20 thou, but nonetheless, it makes me think finding the actual tap for the bike, like this one but not at such a stupid price, would be my best bet.

I know of Robinsons and Crooks. Are there any other good Suzuki parts outlets in the UK anyone would recommend?

Comment

Why are you so adverse to following people's advice? You'll get top-notch service from Z1 and Hampshire has never steered anyone wrong. Listen to him and your petcock will be fixed in short order
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                            Why are you so adverse to following people's advice? You'll get top-notch service from Z1 and Hampshire has never steered anyone wrong. Listen to him and your petcock will be fixed in short order
                            I'm not averse to taking advice, I appreciate all the good advice on this forum. But it seems to be a fact that there are very many types of fuel taps for GS Suzukis including quite a few for GS1000s. If I can find a UK supplier I'd feel a lot happier, because at least I could speak to somebody on the phone about it if necessary. I can phone UK numbers for free. US would cost a lot. I hope you can see that I'm not simply being stubborn - I don't doubt that the tap H-H suggests is good but with so many variations, including online retailers saying they're either 40mm or 50mm, and another one saying the right tap is 45mm, and H-H saying its 44mm, the whole thing is very confusing.

I'm new to Jap bikes. I've only been on this forum for a couple of weeks. I am yet to learn who's who on here (no disrespect meant, but I'm not going to do something/buy something just because somebody with a high post-count says I should - there are people on the Brit bike forums with high numbers of posts behind them but mainly because they're always arguing! And I am NOT saying that this is the case re. anyone on here, just that number of posts is not necessarily a useful guide to soundness of advice. Phew!). I will probably annoy a few people by asking questions I should already know the answer to, or that I ought to find for myself by trawling through hundreds of old threads, but if that's how anyone feels, bear in mind I'm not setting out to annoy anyone.

So, in the hope that what I've said above hasn't got me blacklisted, I'd ask y'all to try to see things from my point of view before getting impatient.

Comment

Working...
                            X