Colortune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colortune

Has anyone ever tried that Colortune gadget ?

Colortune apparently works well on VMs; not so much on CVs.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Some great info on the colortune in this thread. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...lortune-review
      A search will turn up a few of them.
      Denham, if you put your year, bike and model in your signature it could be easier to answer your questions.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The Colortune will let you see just when the fuel shuts off as youre turning the mixture screws in though. At that point I turn the screws out till the flame comes back and then add 1 turn . Then I ride it and see how she reacts to some punishment.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
          Maybe so, I was getting a blue flame anyway I turned the air screw, 82 GS1100G.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
            Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Maybe so, I was getting a blue flame anyway I turned the air screw, 82 GS1100G.
            Agreed. On VM carbs, it can be helpful to get you in the ballpark after rebuilding, but the fine-tuning is done by test riding -- generally you end up a little richer than the ColorTune indicates.

On CV carbs, you don't really see any useful color change when you twiddle the air screws.

All that said, it's a fascinating and beautiful glimpse into the combustion chamber. It's just only useful in a certain narrow set of circumstances, and it's certainly not required. But it is cool.
            Last edited by bwringer; 09-07-2016, 06:45 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X