82 GS850L dies after 20 minutes, calling guru's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
    .... other than the PO removed the kick stand safety and clutch safety switches.
    There is only a small amount of "safety" in either one of those switches.

The clutch switch is usually bypassed by many of us (actual removal is optional), which makes it easier to work on the bike and to start it. The only "safety" part is if you are careless enough to not verify that the bike is not in gear before pushing the button.

The side stand switch is a nice feature, but it still assumes that you will look at the gauges before you take off. If you can look at the gauges, you can look down at the stand.

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
    ... I got the trifecta of problems all in one shot. I asked what it could have been and BAM....everyone was right.... how often does this shyte happen.
    Well, we don't get them ALL right, but collectively, we have seen just about everything, and some of us can remember what fixed it.

To your credit, I have heard it said that "A problem well-described is a problem half-solved." Thanks for filling in requested details.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Well, we don't get them ALL right, but collectively, we have seen just about everything, and some of us can remember what fixed it.

To your credit, I have heard it said that "A problem well-described is a problem half-solved." Thanks for filling in requested details.

Got lucky today, all parts came in the mail around noon, woke up shortly after and within 30 minutes had all 3 replaced. Vrooooooom.... rode her to work no issues...except the torrential rain heading my way from the Gulf. The old petcock is not saveable for rebuild. Whoever messed with it before me did some damage to it on the inside. The igniter is cracked but the sig gen is saveable. broken wire on one of the points, I can solder that back on and I'll have a spare... explains the intermittent readings.

HUGE THANK YOU to everyone on this, I am less than $800 into the bike including stuff I still have on order in the way of cosmetics.

Comment

Awesome. Good job
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
        X