Leaking petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking petcock

I have bought a rebuild kit for the original petcock and it still leaked, and now a “new” Chinese petcock that leaks. How do I stop them from leaking. I have a 78 gs 1000. I don’t want to spend 200.for a Pringle.
    ideas thanks
    sigpic
    1982 CB900FS
    1979 CB750F
    1978 GS 1000E
    1978 GS 1000C
    2018 Goldwing dct tour

The 750 petcock fits and is less than $100. The angle of the ports is different but at least some members here report success using it on their 1000's.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Chuck has been using the '77 GS750 petcock.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Where is it leaking from? If from the mounting holes, did you reuse the washers that were on your old screws or get new ones? If you didn't use any at all you'll need to get them as they are specially designed to seal against the tank
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Where is it leaking from? If from the mounting holes, did you reuse the washers that were on your old screws or get new ones? If you didn't use any at all you'll need to get them as they are specially designed to seal against the tank
          Yes that is what I was going to suggest as well. Did you install sealing washers. The ones you remove, if they have been there a good amount of time, are not happy about coming out and didnt in my instance ever seal proper again. That is your likely culprit.

I used some I bought at one of the big box stores and while not as elegant as the factory washers they worked. I can check the shed to see if I have others and send you a couple if you would like.

Comment

I agree, would be best to know where it is leaking. Vacuum pipe, fuel pipe, mounting holes,...

Mine (same model and year) was leaking from the fuel pipe and I fixed it with a Tourmax rebuild kit and its been working since then. Hope it lasts.
            Culprit was the 5-hole gasket that was shrunk in 40 years of usage. I stretched the spring slightly and made sure all the little holes are aligned.
            sigpic
            1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

They are called dowty washers are they not???
              1981 GS 1000GLX.
              1981 GS 1000G.
              1981 GS 650GLX.
              1975 TS 185.
              1972 100. Kawasaki.
              1968 100. Suzuki.
              1970 Z 50. Honda.
              1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
              1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Starting with post 133 here you can see how I used the elbow from my bad 1000 petcock and added it to the new 750 petcock so the feed was the same as the 1000.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

On my 78 Gs1000 I was having random issues with carb jetting. When the fuel tap started leaking, I replaced it with the Pringle parts, end of carb issues. For me, it was money well spent!
                  78 Gs 1000, 94 Honda Xr600

Comment

Tried using a K&L on mine - garbage. Ended up with an OEM replacement. Costs about $100 but fixed the issue.

Comment

I just got my 1982 GS650G back from my local mechanic. Sent in the bike due to a leaky petcock, and they installed a petcock rebuild kit. But it still leaks. When the motor is running there is no leak, the petcock is dry, but when the bike cools down, there is fuel sweating behind the petcock handle. The mechanic says my petcock must be worn out, so I need to replace the whole thing.

Thoughts?
                      Do these things really wear out beyond their gaskets failing? What replacement should I buy?

I never thought I’d miss the old fuel switch on my 1969 Triumph, where off was OFF!
                      Last edited by Admiral Beez; 07-03-2018, 12:02 PM.
                      1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

The petcock rebuild kits are pointless garbage, so that's not a surprise.

The petcock hard parts don't really wear out unless they corrode internally, but you simply can't get decent quality replacement rubber bits. So your best option is an OEM replacement.

There are some imitations out there, but the success rate with these is also mixed.

No petcock lasts forever, not even the one in your olde Triumph. I've never figured out why so many people here expect 40 year old petcocks to function flawlessly. There's nothing at all wrong with the design, and the fact that they're automatic is a huge plus -- it's saved many riders and engines.

I would understand the frustration if it were 1985 and your 1982 bike's petcock failed. But here in 2018, I don't really understand why it's so vexing or surprising that rubber bits failed after 36 years.

Pingel (Pringle sells crappy imitation potato chips, not petcocks) petcocks don't last forever, either, plus you've added expense and another component with a very high rate of failure, a squishy wet mass of goo known as your brain.

The floats, needles, and needle seats in GS carbs are not designed to nor are they capable of holding back a tank of gas while the bike is not running. Perfect, new components can and will leak tiny amounts over time, so it's VERY important that the petcock gets shut off when the engine isn't running, each and every time

The vacuum petcock is a great solution -- it's dead simple and reliable for at least two decades.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

"The vacuum petcock is a great solution -- it's dead simple and reliable for at least two decades."

I agree...i bought one from this guy 7 years ago and it's still working correctly. Whatever you do, note that you need two special rubber bonded washers under the petcock mounting bolts or it will still leak!

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

From you description, you need a new mechanic.
                            Petcocks don't wear out, the rubber bits go bad, or the vacuum diaphragm goes bad.

You probably spent the better part of the cost of a new petcock having someone badly rebuild yours
                            Time for a new one.
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Perfect, new components can and will leak tiny amounts over time, so it's VERY important that the petcock gets shut off when the engine isn't running, each and every time.
                              My petcock has no shut off.
                              1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Working...
                              X