Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 GS850GL - Exhaust leak-- What size clamp...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS850GL - Exhaust leak-- What size clamp...?

This weekend I think I have found the cause of the TICKING noise I have been chasing --

My Son wanted to ride it on Sunday so I jumped on my Goldwing and he on the 850 -
    The 850 was stone cold and he cranked it a bit with out success not knowing the sweet spot for the enricher (choke) -
    When it DID pop to life I saw a small puff of smoke come out forward on the left side near the bottom --

After looking it over I noticed the clamp holding the H box onto the pipe was broken --
    The bolt used to tighten the clamp had broken and it was just pushed together -

Here is my question --
    Do I need to dis-assemble the entire exhaust system to replace that clamp ?
    Or can I just peel it off by bending it more straight (rather than circular) and then add a new muffler clamp?
    OEM or just anything I can find at the auto store ? (What size is it)

Your opinions are welcome and very useful -- Thank you

This ?

Or this ..?

Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

If you look on the "muffler" fiche for your bike, you'll find that these clamps are still available from Suzuki. #7 & #8:
    Shop online for OEM Muffler parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS850GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-595-4063

Also, there are sealing sleeves at these joints that get damaged or lost over time - #6 on the diagram. They're sort of expensive at $20 each, but I haven't found anything else that works. If these are leaking or missing, you'll get various unpleasant noises and maybe even backfiring.

As a temporary measure, you might be able to find a pipe repair clamp in the plumbing department at Menards or wherever that would work to clamp this junction -- discard the rubber on the inside and use the metal band. They're available in a range of sizes.

If you want to replace the clamps with something else, you'll need a t-bolt band clamp -- DON'T use an automotive muffler clamp, or it will crush the pipe and you'll never get it apart. Besides, I don't think they make them small enough. And worm drive hose clamps aren't nearly strong enough.

I haven't the foggiest idea what size would be appropriate for your bike, but I've used Mikalor Stainless Steel t-bolt hose clamps on my V-Strom for years.

Here's the Mikalor size chart to help you figure out what part number to look for. Once armed with a part number you can usually find them on Amazon:

You'll need to get under there with some calipers and figure out the correct size.

Mikalor clamps are all stainless steel and can withstand exhaust heat, and the bolt has a 10mm head.

Other t-bolt clamps of this style I've found use a Nyloc nut that will melt. Plus, they use a 7/16" wrench size, which I find deeply offensive.
    Last edited by bwringer; 08-13-2018, 03:13 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Left-side clamp?

Let me see if I have one left from when I changed pipes on my wife's bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, "left side". Was that the purple side or the orange side?

Arriving at your mailbox shortly.

Or do you want us to just toss them to you Saturday morning?
        It's going to have to be a hefty "toss", as we won't be getting within 125 miles of you.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Be safe on that 'little' ride you are going on...
          Thanks for the clamp
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
          X