Installing carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing carbs

Any tips on installing the carbs.Removed the air box not filter part which gives me more room but can't get them into the carb boots in engine.It's an 80 550L.
    1983 GS 650 gl

1982 GS 850 gl

1980 GS 550L

1982 GS 650 G(KATANA)

Gsx 1400 daily ride

Originally posted by angus View Post
    Any tips on installing the carbs.Removed the air box not filter part which gives me more room but can't get them into the carb boots in engine.It's an 80 550L.
    A little WD-40, oil, or anything to slicken up the boot opening, a ratchet strap and a rubber mallet works for those really hard boots. I run the strap across the carbs and around the frame. Watch the cooling fins while you're routing the strap. Tighten it a little at a time and use the mallet on the outer carbs. Just take your time and it will go.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
      A little WD-40, oil, or anything to slicken up the boot opening
      I like silicone lube for jobs like this. It is easy on the rubber and does a great job of making things slide.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

It may be a sign that it's time for new intake pipes/boots. First time I tried reinstalling them I needed to use clamps on either end to get enough force. Now, with new rubber, they just pop right in by hand.
        80 GS1000GT
        Past bikes:
        82 GS750E
        92 VFR750
        85 CB650

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMA View Post
          It may be a sign that it's time for new intake pipes/boots. First time I tried reinstalling them I needed to use clamps on either end to get enough force. Now, with new rubber, they just pop right in by hand.
          Yes, this. Your intake boots are shot, done, finito, stuffed, knackered...

If you're still using the airbox, the boots between the airbox and carbs should probably be replaced as well.

Any time you have to consider applying excessive force, it's time to step back and consider the root cause of the issue and the possible consequences. Do you really want to risk bending or breaking your carb rack by using mechanical means to force them into place?
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Done this a few times on my 81 and 82 550's. The tricks for me was WD40 on the intake manifolds or boots as some like to call them. I then losen off the screws that secure the airbox housing mount which gives you some movement on that side of the equation so you can more easily slide the rack of carbs in. Next I insert the carbs into the manifolds taping them in gently with a rubber mallet and block of wood all the way in. Lastly I bring the air box boots on to the carbs one by one coaxing them with my fingers ensuring they're fully fitted. Lastly I install and tighten the eight clamps and secure the air box. Voila. I know others wouldn't necessarily follow my methods but it has worked for me several times.
            GS550T 1981
            GS850G 1983
            GS650G 1982
            GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Working...
            X