HELICOIL for #1 Vacuum port on my GS 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELICOIL for #1 Vacuum port on my GS 1100E

I fretted for a month regarding a thread repair on the Number 1 vacuum port. Had properly synced my newly cleaned and O-ringed carbs and upon replacing the hex head bolt, the 5 MM threads on the cylinder head, which were suspect after previous carb sync, were stripped enough that bolt could not be lightly tightened. I wrapped the bolt with teflon tape, installed, and then checked out various thread repair options..... I purchased a "Helicoil - style" kit through Amazon...…20 Coils, a Drill bit, Tap, Install Tool with adjustable stopper ring, and Punch to knock off the "Tang."

I did not want to re and re carbs again (but was prepared to do so)...… nor did I did want to risk losing metal...especially the steel Tang....in the intake port.

This morning, I got organized and in 5 minutes, had successfully completed the job.

I purchased an aerosol can of CRC Cutting Oil / Thread Cutting Lubricant. The stuff comes out quite thick and sticky. I attached a "straw - like" attachment to one of my vacuum cleaners......and set to work. The CRC product, sprayed on the drill bit easily took care of nearly all the aluminum bits. The Vacuum cleaner attachment got the rest (filtered through a coffee filter.....couple of weeee soft bits). Next the Tap. Again, the CRC helped to hang on to the very tiny bits. And Taps are designed so that debris can be moved upward along the flutes. Vacuum cleaner got the rest. Then I positioned and screwed in the 'Helicoil'.....Perfect...… Oh, the Tang......well, I used the supplied punch and a heavy hammer...a quick smack....Tang separated. The secret and the thing that made it un necessary to remove the carbs are the strong magnets that 'attached' themselves to the Punch.....and when I withdrew the magnetized Punch from the coil, secure on the end of the Punch was...the Tang. HELICOIL...jpg

I had 4 or 5 practice 'runs' drilling and tapping and coiling and punching into some scrap cast aluminum...…..easy to access potential for FOD (none) and make sure the magnet trick would work. All is well...….

An aside: To ensure hole drilled properly, I made a drill guide from a (approximately) 1/2 inch round steel bar. Ends squared to the 13/64 hole drilled on center. Guide fit perfectly onto machined pad on cylinder head.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2018, 11:20 AM. Reason: Clarity

My #3 is headed that way. Thanks for sharing that info.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.

Comment

If you have 6mm adapters in your synchronizer kit (many come with both 5mm and 6mm), you could just drill and tap a 6mm thread.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          If you have 6mm adapters in your synchronizer kit (many come with both 5mm and 6mm), you could just drill and tap a 6mm thread.
          I got both sets with the carbtune oldstyle mercury type but you know how that ends up.
          Only find three sixes and one five.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

You are correct. That Said: I purchased this GS 1100 E new in October of 1983. After warranty was done.... and there were a few repairs and upgrades completed under said warranty.... I have been the only one to lay hands on this machine. I will depart the earth before my Motorcycle will.. Oh..my point..... Well, lots of threads where someone has purchased a GS only to find that a Previous Owner has screwed something up, done a shoddy repair, parts don't fit because a P O 'did something.' And so the 'pile on' begins..... Would not want a future owner to report such shoddy work...or for Big Red to be maligned...especially on this great Forum.

Seriously though, easy to drill out the damaged threads, easy to tap new ones....And.....with a magnetized tang punch there is no extra work involved in removing (carbs, in this situation) other parts. The "Helicoil" step took maybe 30 seconds. And …….repair done properly. Hardware matches too.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2018, 05:47 PM. Reason: Clarity. Some humor intended also.

Comment

No pics of the repair? Is this fake news?
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                No pics of the repair? Is this fake news?

Hey Cipher....was just wanting to get it done......had procrastinated for a month...yikes. Anyway.....most of the tools used are in this pic. Aluminum on drill bit and tap....indcates something was done. And Tang on magmetized punch. Socket and such to turn tap. Hammer too...overkill maybe HELICOIL..,.jpg

Comment

seems easier than drilling and tapping.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                  X