GS850 intake boots on Amazon: Set of 4 for $31 free shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 intake boots on Amazon: Set of 4 for $31 free shipping

My auto search for intake boots for my 850glz pinged this on Amazon today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...HJDFXVB8&psc=1

Probably cheap knockoff crap, but for $31 for all 4 I ordered a set and will report back to everyone on what they look like. I've always thought there was no reason for OEM intake boots to be $30+ apiece, there cant be that much to making them.

EDIT: Should also add this is an Amazon Fulfillment item, meaning if they are absolute garbage, there should be zero issues getting them returned and refunded in full. So very little risk on my part to see what China has to offer on intake boots.
    Last edited by Rust_to_Redemption; 04-23-2019, 11:59 AM.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

I'm curious to see what you find. My GS850G came with some no-name China brand intake boots that the PO bought but never installed. I looked all over them for a part number so I could identify where they came from. There were no markings anywhere. I put them on my 850L and so far they've been working well. I'm sure time will be the ultimate test. But it cost me nothing (other than the price of the bike) so I figured what better opportunity to test the cheapies???
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

I'll also follow this with interest.

As you said, there's no reason for something so simple to cost so damn much.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Those clamps might chew the rubber up. It might be better to use your stockers if they're ok.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

You all will get my re
          view as well.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

My shipment of boots arrived today. I could be mistaken since it has been a solid year since I replaced the o-rings on my OEM intake boots, but I think the intake hole itself at the base looks smaller than stock? Anyone have measurements on what these should be? By my calipers these are 27mm at the base of the plate. 33mm inside the boot where the carb throat would seat, 39mm at the top of the boot. O-rings sit slightly proud like they're supposed to. Build quality seems decent; casting isn't perfect but seems adequate. Boot seems well bonded to the non-ferrous base. Will bolt those on my GLZ this weekend and see how they perform. I imagine at this price point it may be that they perish more quickly than OEM so a long term test would be in order.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Rust_to_Redemption; 04-25-2019, 08:41 PM.
            1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
            1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles

Comment

I'm curious....how long are these boots? Please let us know if that 27mm id is different than stock.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Photos of original vs China are at the link (couldn’t get it to embed via mobile). As I suspected the ID engine side of OEM boots is 31mm vs 27mm for the China boots. Every other measurement is exactly the same. I assume this would lean out the engine a little, as it would flow less air/fuel mix into the engine? I may bolt them on anyway while I wait for new rings to arrive.
                Last edited by Rust_to_Redemption; 04-29-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Boots seem to work well, no discernible leaks. One thing that gave me trouble is the vacuum tuning ports on these mount facing down, not up like the OEM boots. Took me longer than I care to admit to figure it out. I’ll leave them on and see if they start to perish after some riding miles.

Comment

Here ya go, just copy and paste. Mine came in the mail yesterday and as stated they are a bit small on the intake side. I may port them out to match the head, we'll see.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Rust_to_Redemption View Post
                      Boots seem to work well, no discernible leaks. One thing that gave me trouble is the vacuum tuning ports on these mount facing down, not up like the OEM boots. Took me longer than I care to admit to figure it out. I’ll leave them on and see if they start to perish after some riding miles.
                      On my 850G the vacuum ports on OEM boots face down. No problems with access to #2 and 3 ports.

I did not know that some face up.
                      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Are there any reason they won't install facing port down?

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                          On my 850G the vacuum ports on OEM boots face down. No problems with access to #2 and 3 ports.

I did not know that some face up.
                          My 82 850L OEM boots oriented the vacuum ports up. Or I assume they are OEM, they have Suzuki markings on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bortasqu View Post
                            Are there any reason they won't install facing port down?
                            Once I realized they needed to be in this orientation the install was easy, and fitting the carbs in was a breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post

Here ya go, just copy and paste. Mine came in the mail yesterday and as stated they are a bit small on the intake side. I may port them out to match the head, we'll see.

V
                              I think the only way they are going to be useable is if you port them out. I had to increase my air fuel mix screws 3 turns out to get it to idle properly. I think I have a size larger pilot jet, may try throwing that in to see if it will let me cut the air fuel mix screws back in a couple turns.
                              EDIT: Only the idle was finicky, above 1/4 throttle it performed normally.
                              Last edited by Rust_to_Redemption; 04-30-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X