Kerker 4 into 1 Exhaust Packing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kerker 4 into 1 Exhaust Packing

Hey guys. In early 2018 I found a vintage Kerker 4 into 1 on craigslist for sale. Went and picked it up and threw it on my 82-750T. After the first few rides I noticed a light brown fuzzy material sticking around the exhaust cone. The 30+ year old exhaust packing was disintegrating and slowly blowing out. The more I rode the more blew out, and over the course of last season the bike slowly changed from sounding wonderful, to straight up ear-rape at anything above 6K RPM. So I need to pull the cone and baffle and re-pack. What type of packing would you guys recommend for the Kerker? Fiberglass, Ceramic, Wire Wool?

I use fibreglass packing for my kerker...you can buy it at your local motorcycle dealer. So easy to do that even I did it.
    No signature

Comment

I've tried fibreglass (didn't last long), rockwool (didn't last long), wire wool (disintegrated and blew out in fiery lumps), genuine exhaust packing (expensive and didn't last long), stainless steel pan scrubbers (lasted for ages and didn't fall apart or blow out in fiery lumps), and a baffle washer which by a process of trial and error worked well and is almost indestructible.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The baffle in my muffler (of unknown origin) works a bit differently than yours. Your baffle likely has a straight-through core, with perforations. The perforations allow some of the sound to get to the outer part, which I call "the echo chamber". Packing that chamber with various materials will control the echo. As you have seen in the first few responses, different materials have different results.

My baffle is somewhat similar, but has a plug in the center, which forces all the exhaust to flow through the perforations, into the "echo chamber", past the plug, then back through the rear perforations and out the exit. Because exhaust has to actually flow through the packing material, I use very coarse stainless steel wool. Before I realized how that baffle worked, I had wrapped it with a fiberglass blanket, the bike almost didn't run, let alone well.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used this stainless steel wool [coarse] in an old Kerker muffler with good results.
          The pads retained their structure better than a thinner "mat" and i think the stainless aspect helped prevent/slowdown rust from condensation.
          Available in 3 Grades. COARSE: Compares to # 4 Steel Wool ; Average Fiber Width: 120 microns (0.12mm) / 0.005" (5 mils). Stainless Steel Wool Pads last longer than regular carbon steel pads and resist crumbling and breakdown.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

If it's to loud, you're to old... ��... as I'm listening to Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage.
            The white zone is for loading and unloading only... any catholic girls out there. Lol
            Last edited by storm 64; 04-26-2019, 08:58 PM.
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              If it's to loud, you're to old... ��... as I'm listening to Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage.
              The white zone is for loading and unloading only... any catholic girls out there. Lol
              Love that album!
              No signature

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                I've got one for a cousin... I love how they go, so send me a dozen!

Awesome (triple) album
                80 GS1000GT
                Past bikes:
                82 GS750E
                92 VFR750
                85 CB650

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Went with FMF fiberglass packing because thats the only thing I could find locally. Got it from the Honda Dealership, and it was only $9. Thats even cheaper than it sells for on Amazon lol.

IMG_20190427_165836.jpg

Comment

When I bought my 11E almost six years ago, PO told me the V&H 'Street Megaphone' needed repacking. I disagreed. It weren't broke, I aren't fixing it.

I have purchased a V&H 'SS' canister system which I plan to install. I'm so old, the megaphone system looks a little short and stunted. In my day, 4-into-1s were longer (and made the rear wheel harder to remove).

And before the crowd piles on, I'm very courteous to my neighbors (I have a lot of experience - for a few years in the '80's I rode my KAW900 with a completely open pipe. I pushed it down the block before starting it, then idled away. On the way home, I coasted down the block with the engine off.)

Now the people a half mile down the block, they may have a completely different opinion. Setting off car alarms seemed harmless to a twenty-something. Good clean fun.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      And before the crowd piles on, I'm very courteous to my neighbors ...
                      I don't worry about being courteous to my neighbors.

The one closest to me has a Goldwing that is louder than mine. And it's stock.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X