Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a wood screw holding my exhaust on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a wood screw holding my exhaust on...

Not kidding. Apparently the PO broke off a bolt and tried to jam this in there. It wasn't in there very tight so I'm praying he didn't funker up the aluminum. I also broke a few of them while removing the pipes so I'm dealing with that now.

Just getting started on this bike: https://bit.ly/2GGJktM. Looking foward to more surprises.

IMG_6053xx.jpg

Yep, the joy of discovering the stupidity of PO's.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Hopefully he did not punch a hole in the back.

There is an oil gallery there.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When I read your title, I figured a hanger near the tail pipe, or something like that. But a wood screw into the engine block?!? Is it even possible to be so stupid?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Has the hole been plugged with something?
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

It had some kind of gunk in there. Not sure what. Wood filler, spackle, mashed potatoes.

Comment

But a wood screw into the engine block?!? Is it even possible to be so stupid?

Yes

Comment

i always run the bike when possible and get it nice and warm/hot...in most cases the bolts come out with a little finesse.

Comment

Bush fixes, doncha jus' luv 'em? Especially the ones that are carried out in the bush round the back of the PO's house.
                  That's the kind of thing that's worth knowing about in case you ever need to do it, but I'd be careful to pack the hole with a plug of wood to screw into.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My GS came to me with several 1/4" and 5/16" bolts jammed in various places where 6mm and 8mm fasteners belonged. Some still had the original brown or white Briggs & Stratton paint on the bolt heads.

I can't imagine why anyone would think they'd find appropriate replacement fasteners for a Japanese motorcycle in Grandpa's coffee can of old bolts.

Or why they'd just keep going when the threads seize.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My GS came with a long head bolt from a car for an oil drain bolt. lucky I didn't snag it on something before I got it home.
                      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                      X