gs650gl beginner trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650gl beginner trouble

hey my names ian im pretty new to the bike scene and i picked up a gs650gl for $700, i already read the deadly sins post and another and sorry to say ive bought a bike that was too cheap to be good. im wondering if anyone here has the oem specs for my air pilot screw turns (i guess aswell as the fuel screw), i watched a carb clean video and used the spray so i did another thing wrong, but the dude in the vid told me take my air pilot screw out and didnt ever show putting it back in, now i know i messed up because i had no clue what is was. im gonna be running it with my airbox, i have a stock exhaust, and i am sure that its stock jetting this bike was untouched for a very long time till it sat by the previous owner and the no knowledge me picked it up. the good news is i took off the black spraypaint and it had the original black/blue with gold pinstripe paint on it, still looks pretty good with small scuffs on it. i get my fuel valve tomorrow the one on it leaks now its a new problem that surfaced, i also had to get another pair of gaskets because the ones i bought were too thin and interfered with my needle having the float bowl rest on it. please if anyone knows the amount of turns im supposed to do or has any advice on what to do so i can get it running again. sorry this may end up being a long post. prior to it being down when i went to check it out the bike was sitting for a while atleast a year and then from the dude i bought it from it had to be another couple weeks, he started it up and it had alot of smoke at first, but it ended up being none after i rode it for two days, i would hear the tone of the engine change throughout riding it and it has me believing the carbs may have been out of balance. when i rode it for a little longer of a trip it shut down on me twice in a row when i pulled in my clutch to downshift and stop. it sat at my friends house then didnt want to start back up. also if anyone has a site to get the boot gaskets at i looked on ebay and they didnt have it for the 650 but all the other ones. idk how bad im gonna get roasted for being new to this and not knowing what im doing. but if anyone can help me out please do. if theres a forum on here for my questions direct me to it, i looked at the online manual and couldnt find anything bout adjusting the air/fuel ratio. and unfortunately i cant buy the real one for a minute. please help.

orignially posted in the engine/drivetrain forum but somebody redirected me here thankfully.

its a 1982 gs650gl
    Last edited by timebombprod; 11-07-2019, 11:41 PM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

You seem to have been led astray by several sources.
    Are you referring to the Top 10 newbie mistakes?
    Have you properly cleaned your carbs per the tutorial?
    What is the additional fuel screw you mention?
    Carb boots should be available from a Suzuki dealer

You've come to the right place to solve your issues, you just need to go here:

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

and read everything and follow the links. You will find how to clean your carbs and how to adjust them, a workshop manual to guide you and solutions to the common problems with the GS models, Then, post up any problems you have along the way
    Last edited by Big T; 11-08-2019, 01:02 PM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i didnt know if i would have to also adjust my fuel if i adjust my air screw, not boots but the boot gaskets the o-ring for them sorry if i was confusing, i didnt clean them like in the tutorial no but any of my jets or anything with tiny holes in it has been poked through with a needle to ensure theres nothing blocking it. and alot of the rust and white/green stuff has been tooken out i have a little bit of rust still in my float bowls but minimal. yeah it was the top ten newbie mistakes and the deadly sins post i read. ill be looking in that post you gave me a link to thanks.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

my one issue is that ive been on my manual on the bikecliff website and i couldnt find anything about adjusting them i found balancing them but i didnt see anyhting about how to adjust my air/fuel
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Remember, the fuel screw only adjusts the idle mixture

You'll need to properly follow the tutorial for cleaning your carbs, or chase problems until you do
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

sorry but theyre very clean i didnt watch the vid but im guessing its about soaking them, i will clean them like that later on but i can assure you that its just fine everything was took out (except my floats i got told that when taking the pin out its possible i could break the mount if im not careful i didnt wanna take chances) sprayed, wiped, and rinsed correctly. i know since im new im probably rushing myself and not listening all the way but i just want to know about the air pilot screw turns. im sorry that im difficult. i didnt rush my cleaning process im very happy with how they turned out just my float bowls on the inside have some orange left but any holes that my jets go through were spotless i made sure to take extra care for them

im going to check my spark plugs and see what they look like to make sure i can pin my bike not starting to one problem

ur from the other forum arent you
            Last edited by timebombprod; 11-08-2019, 03:34 PM.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

my air filter comes next friday and my gaskets come around the same time so ill be running through my carbs again to make them even cleaner, and while im at it ill be more precise doing everything so i can assure that i just have to learn how to adjust my airflow and possibly my fuel mixture
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

I would hope that you won't get roasted for being new and asking questions. That's just the nature of learning something for the first time, and honestly, the questions won't ever stop. You'll just learn how to ask them of yourself eventually, and come back here for support when you can't answer them.

Partzilla carries the carb boots. I'd sell you a set, or gift you a decent set of used ones if you were local, but I think you can probably pick up a new set from a dealer try Parts Outlaw. That is the online presence of Deland Motorsports, which is pretty much local to you, so you might even be able to source through them and avoid shipping

Welcome to our powersports dealer in DeLand, FL, where you can buy Suzuki bikes for sale, explore used ATV financing or schedule motorcycle service nearby.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                  not boots but the boot gaskets the o-ring for them sorry if i was confusing
                  oops. I missed this from your subsequent post. Boot o-rings can be sourced through member robertbarr of cycle o-rings.

Last edited by BigD_83; 11-08-2019, 06:23 PM.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

i didnt know if i would have to also adjust my fuel if i adjust my air screw,
                    Where are these "air screws" and "fuel screws" you keep referring to??
                    As I mentioned in your other thread (with the same first post), you do NOT have separate fuel and air screws.

..., i didnt clean them like in the tutorial no but any of my jets or anything with tiny holes in it has been poked through with a needle to ensure theres nothing blocking it.
                    The jets may be "clean", but what about all the tiny passages between them? THOSE are what clogs up, probably more than the jets themselves. There is no way to reach anything in there to clean them out, they have to be SOAKED clean. Some have reported at least a modest success with an ultrasonic cleaner, but most of us use chemicals, specifically Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip. You need to remove EVERYTHING from the carb body, following the tutorial (probably the one you said you didn't follow), then soak each carb for about 24 hours, rinse it, spray a little carb cleaner through the passages to ensure they are clean, then blow them out with compressed air. Finish up assembly by using new o-rings from cycleorings, then bench sync them, install, then fine-tune.

my one issue is that ive been on my manual on the bikecliff website and i couldnt find anything about adjusting them i found balancing them but i didnt see anyhting about how to adjust my air/fuel
                    I gave you instructions on your other thread, but you still have to start with CLEAN carbs.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    You'll need to properly follow the tutorial for cleaning your carbs, or chase problems until you do
                    This is pretty much a guarantee. Until we hear the the carbs have been cleaned properly, there is no point of offering any more suggestions.

sorry but theyre very clean i didnt watch the vid but im guessing its about soaking them, i will clean them like that later on but i can assure you that its just fine ...
                    I did not check to see what that video was about, but I don't remember any video here about soaking carbs. That is in a well-written (and illustrated) tutorial. As far as "its just fine", ... if it really WERE "fine", you would not be asking for help.

... everything was took out (except my floats i got told that when taking the pin out its possible i could break the mount if im not careful i didnt wanna take chances) sprayed, wiped, and rinsed correctly.
                    If you had read the tutorial, you would have found a very easy, reliable way to remove the float pins with no damage. I do this all the time. And if you did not remove the floats, there is no way to address one of the common causes of carb problems, a leaky o-ring around the float valve. Any chance you checked the float heights before putting the bowls back on?

I have offered the advise many times before that any shortcuts taken are merely opportunities to do it over and do it RIGHT.

Last edited by Steve; 12-05-2019, 09:45 PM.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

^^^ I agree with what Steve says, follow the tutorial and do the soak. It might seem that it takes a lot of time but in the long run you'll spend far more time dinking around trying to get something to run right that probably never will.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

my issue is that i took out the air pilot screw and just screwed it in all the way, its the screw piece that is located on the intake side of the carbs, if you look in the pic its the little hole on the left side of the carb, these arent mine just a pic i found, but i screwed it in all the way not knowing theres an amount of turns im supposed to do to adjust them, i did check my float height it was over an inch which is supposedly wrong i heard theyre supposed to be 22.5-23.5mm high, i adjusted them to that but im going to recheck them once i open the carbs. please guys i cleaned the carbs i did very well i cleaned any spot the jets went in and i got plenty of gunk out till only clear liquid was coming out i will redo them again when i get the gaskets i promise.
                        Last edited by timebombprod; 11-08-2019, 11:13 PM.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

youtube.com/watch?v=95nlrP-yn2I

i dont expect anyone to watch the full video if you just go to 13:00 it shows what i took out and the vid didnt ever explain putting them back in
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Those are the air JETS and are supposed to be screwed in all the way and snugged up enough so they don't come back out on their own.

There is NO adjustment on them except for replacing them with one of a different size.

Please read and FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL.

When you are done, THEN we will discuss the fine-tuning adjustments.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

o snap well damn im gonna watch the tutorial and keep my mouth shut till im done with the tutorial lol, could it be that my floats got flooded i was trying to start it with a fuel valve that was leaking and i didnt know till i got frustrated and took my tank off again.
                              anyways im gonna watch the video sorry
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X