No announcement yet.

gs650gl beginner trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i will say this, and again very nooby of me, i was trying to start it with no air restriction was just open, and it says dont do that, ill do this right
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Do it right...the passages in the pilot circuit are tiny and will resist cleaning- dipping or ultrasonic cleaning (maybe both) is required.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I just got done watching that video. It says it is brought to us by Z1 Enterprises. As much as we respect and admire Z1 for all they do, I don't believe this was actually filmed by them and produced by them. The author mentioned something about being in Brazil at the time, so I have a feeling that it is by Chris (shirazdrum) who was riding his 850 in many countries.

Nothing in that video was blatantly wrong, but there was SO much that was left out, it's not funny. He mentioned something about taking them completely apart, but then said he was not going to un-gang the carbs. You can NOT take them completely apart if they are still on the rails. He also did not remove the pilot screws, or even mention the possibility of turning them for adjustment.

I'm sorry, but anybody that follows that video and believes they have fully cleaned their carbs, deserves all the problems they will encounter when they start riding.

Do yourself a favor. SKIP THE VIDEO. Download, read and follow the tutorial I posted in post #14.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yeah no i know it didnt do a full cleaning im just a bit worrisome about taking them apart into individual carbs instead of 4 on a rack because this is my first time doing anything, yeah the vids not bad but its basically a carb clean for carbs that are already pretty dang clean. are the jets and all that interchangable or do they go to a specific carb?

i did look at ur tutorial u posted and ill be doing alot of what it says, i know if i dont take them apart like that it wont be a proper clean, just worried bout doing it like that.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
            ..., yeah the vids not bad but its basically a carb clean for carbs that are already pretty dang clean.
            And everything you have shown so far tells us that your carbs are NOT "pretty dang clean", meaning that they will need more work than that video shows.

are the jets and all that interchangable or do they go to a specific carb?
            The jets can be moved around, they are not carb-specific.

If you are not going to take them apart, don't bother doing anything at all to them.

When it comes down to it, there are only two ways of doing anything. Right and over.

If you are afraid of taking them apart and doing them correctly, just bite the bullet and send them to one of us that will do it for you.

When you get done working on your bike, you might want to look into getting a new keyboard for your computer.
            The "Y" and "O" keys seem to be rather intermittent.
            i did look at ur tutorial u posted ...
            Last edited by Steve; 12-05-2019, 09:49 PM.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

lol sorry i just dont use proper grammar all the time, maybe i will send it to somebody, ill be looking at the tutorial once my carbs are off and think if i really am capable without screwing things up, if not ill probably take that offer of sending them out.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

If carbs are your issue, stick with Steve. He knows those things like he knows the back of his hands. He knows pretty much every part of these old GS's.

It may have been more than a few days since he's adjusted a drive chain, but even us old shaft haters don't hold that against him.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

two other things, if one of my carb diaphragms little bit that shows u wear to line it up isnt all the way there, what should i do what if i just put a piece of rubber on the missing spot or should i replace the whole thing i heard its not cheap for them. and also i dont know what the piece is called but the frame for the airfilter what is that called and is there any way i can get one, made a mistake very early on months ago and i tossed that piece, its what u fit the airfilter on the plastic exoskeleton i guess id call it, if its not obtainable im just gonna make my own one
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

"carb diaphragms little bit that shows u wear to line it up isnt all the way there,"

like how? Is it wrinkled at top, or actually holed? Note that there is a tab to orient them properly in carb body.
                    years ago, someone told me that Suzuki dealers sold filter element with the plastic cage....try a local dealer.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

the tab piece is mising part of it
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

the tab piece is mising part of it
                        A patch might work there.....depends . If you decide to wing it, move that diaphragm to either carb spot 1 or 4, for easy access later
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                        X