Fuel in vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel in vent

So when I pulled the tank off last time to do the cylinder head COVER thing, I managed to pull the fuel line off the carbs. When putting it back on I put it on the vent line instead, this somehow lead to gas coming out my airbox? And the bike refused to run.

Should I do anything before I start it now? And should the fuel line just be loosely threaded on the nipple near the dial for idle (I presume, the brass thing)? Nothing to hold it stuck?

On the filter its just threaded on, but apparent of it falling of the carb when I pulled on the other end, the filter attachments are pretty strong without anything else.

Edit: added "COVER"
    Last edited by Noreg; 08-28-2020, 12:26 PM.
    GS1000G 1981

Fuel line goes to a T on the back side of the carbs between 2 & 3. The T's on the back side between 1 & 2 and between 3 & 4 should have vent hoses attached to them and those hoses' open ends should remain open, in still air probably somewhere up on top of your air filter box. Then there should be a nipple on the front side of carb #2 which gets vacuum hose from the petcock. Think I got all that right. (the vent line between carbs 3 & 4 is not shown in the pic). My fuel line had clamps at the T and at the petcock. Should be a snug fit and stay in place without the clamps (for a while). Your fuel line may be old and hard, or the wrong size.

Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

Fuel line goes to a T on the back side of the carbs between 2 & 3. The T's on the back side between 1 & 2 and between 3 & 4 should have vent hoses attached to them and those hoses' open ends should remain open, in still air probably somewhere up on top of your air filter box. Then there should be a nipple on the front side of carb #2 which gets vacuum hose from the petcock. Think I got all that right. (the vent line between carbs 3 & 4 is not shown in the pic). My fuel line had clamps at the T and at the petcock. Should be a snug fit and stay in place without the clamps (for a while). Your fuel line may be old and hard, or the wrong size.

Do you know the correct size?
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Sorry, not off the top of my head, I don't. But I know I've read a lot of posts on the sizes of the various hoses in the archives. Good tip to get any meaningful results, when searching, use advanced, and change the Keyword(s) to Search Titles Only. Try searching:

fuel line size

here's a good thread with many trusted contributors.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

If the fuel line is the correct 8 mm motorcycle fuel line, you can fit it without a clamp.

If it's a 5/8" automobile line, a worm drive clamp is required
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Today my old fuel line started leaking, it was cracked by the carbs. It was marked 6.3. I bought both 6 and 8mm. With 8 I feel its too lose to fit without a clamp (my filter leaked with it without a clamp). So I attached 8mm before the filter, and 6mm to the tank. It was really hard to push the 6mm onto the nipples sand I didnt want to remove the carbs. This way the difficult to reattach parts are stuck harder than the easy to reattach (want it to separate at the filter.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

The OEM fuel line is 7 mm, so will be easier to push over the nipples. Thin wire "spring" clamps were used, but they do not exert much force onto the hose.
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
              X