Suzuki 650 twin with no turn signal blinking .... was perfect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki 650 twin with no turn signal blinking .... was perfect

I swapped out my old headlight bucket for a NOS part and had to re-connect the wiring carefully, I thought. Later I found I had connected a solid black coded wire with a black and white ... so switched the 2 connectors to improve it , I hope. I had turn signal issues before that. I inspected and cleaned the TS switch and replaced the rear tail light and brake light bulb. It works and the horn works. I ordered another used flasher relay on Ebay ... but still no blinking. Today I stuck the multimeter probes in the flasher socket pins to check the voltage. It read only 10.65 volts with engine not running. I also found some semi-loose bullet connectors over the rear wheel which I fixed. Checking the results again the RIGHT flashers started to blink for several seconds!! .. but then stopped. After that all I got when I flipped the TS switch was a slight buzzing noise coming from the relay ... and no blinking. I tried the other relay and got nothing. My electrical knowledge remains extremely marginal, but I have been trying to figure out the electrical schematics shown on the Suzuki manual. Can someone tell me if I have (2) bad flasher relays ... or some other undiagnosed problem? Previously I checked the fuse box and all was well. I am stumped!
    Last edited by dennco2; 07-14-2022, 09:06 PM.
    Dennco2
    1985 GS450
    Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

all the stuff about brakelights and whatall is irrelevant to the turn signals but FYI "just" Black wires are "+ " and commonly come out of turn signal stalks where they bolt to bike to connect to other wires that choose left and right....Black/white stripe are always "- Ground " The difference that white stripe makes is important.

Is the replacement relay the same as original? that is, two connections on a little box? If so, the buzzing is probably because you are running too much current through it-it's a short circuit. If so, and if your bike is similar to others in this era of Suzukis, , connect the Right turn signal blacks to the light greens nearby and the left turn signal black to black nearby Connect the B/W to B/W on all.

Comment

I will look into the head light bucket wiring tomorrow to see if I can find the wire you mention and swap as needed. Yes, it has the 2 pin relay box and both have the same stamp on them ....ND FU249SD on the top line ... and 061300-5020 towards the bottom. I also found a NOS similar 2 prong relay with a different number at the bottom (061300-5690) , I would like to order IF it works the same on my gr650 twin. NOS!
      Dennco2
      1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

The bulb sockets are rust prone
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Slow progress ..... I traced the 2 wires coming/going from the TS lights to the headlight bucket. The right side had an all black and B/W ... to a green wire. The left side was all black and B/W ... to another black wire. Still no blinking. I used a light bulb tester to try to find any current going thru the connection in the bucket ... none found. The headlight lit up, so I know the tester was working. The light test was done with the ignition ON and flipping the TS switch L & R ... but all I got was a slight buzzing sound at the flasher relay. Not knowing how to test the relay itself, I don't even know if it or it's used replacement is any good. Any more good advice to share?
          Dennco2
          1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

The two connector "relay" just uses the heat of it's own resistance to buckle a bimetal strip so if it doesn't have front and rear signals' going through it, it won't work correctly.(It's actually a good safety feature by the way...)Your buzzing noise... is likely due to this...

Cipher's point is well taken- wiring won't help if the signals themselves won't light up. TEST the signals singly on their own - it's easy to just get some wire and touch the signal's Black wire to battery + to see. Wiggle..clean, check for good ground... until they light up.
            Here's a diagram to sort the colours
            .07-Turn.jpg

Comment

What's a GS650 Twin?
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

It's the "Tempter". GR650 Not a big seller not even a cult-bike. I seem to remember jedz had one? But the diagram I posted is for a 4cyl 650 as typically, it's near universal on the suzukis then

Comment

Ah, forgot about the GR650 Tempter. I see now the OP did mention that in his post Blogs that it's a GR
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks Gorminrider ... I will jump on that testing the 4 TS bulbs and cleaning the sockets as needed. Previously, I pulled the bulbs out and tested them by applying voltage directly to them ... but not sitting in their sockets. I will try to add the diagram for the gr ... in case you see some variation I should be aware of. Still struggling to fathom the details. BTW, I love the GR for the relative simplicity of 2 cylinders and great gas mileage. The monoshock adjustable suspension minimmizes the bumps.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Dennco2
                    1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Probably unrelated but previously months ago I replaced all 10 instrument gauge lights with the 194 wedge style bulbs which were 5 watts ... instead of 3.7 watts. Later I saw the 2 blinking indicator lights attached to the gauges were not blinking so I made the decision they might have burned up ... so I pulled the gauges apart again to replace them with 3.7 watt bulbs .... but no improvement. I have been chasing this TS problem for weeks/months!
                      Dennco2
                      1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Hey! I found a service manual for the Tempter so I'll have a close look than I can get from these forum attachments. But I see you have two indicators on the dash so that's a slight difference and simpler. If you can make a couple of printed copies of your diagram and follow the important circuit from the fuse,as I've done above it really helps simplify. Be aware that the DOTS on intersections are where wires connect in the harness permanently. Ignore where lines merely cross. The dots are permanent harness connections bullet connectors are shown too. By the way, there's one ring-terminal on the Black/white Ground wire shown on the diagram that you'll likely find attached to the frame commonly near the front of the frame. Find this and know that it is the ground point for all your lights and more.

Comment

When I got my GS850 running, the turn signals were weak and frequently didn't blink. After I got the SH775 R/R installed, all the lights were brighter and the turn signals were working just as they ought to. Not saying this is your problem, just throwing it into the mix.
                          Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                          1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                          1981 GS1100E

Comment

Your indicator bulb change wouldn't have any bad effect...not a bad idea to make em brighter! -they are bad to forget.
                            They are "in parallel" with the left or right signals so they do the same thing as the signals. Whatever the relay tells them to.
                            It's fairly simple. orange Green stripe from it's fuse, through relaybox and from there on Light Blue to your handlebar switch (CHECK ME!) then depending left,right, through Black or Light Green to signals and dash indicators returning to Ground - on the Black/White stripe "bus" wire.

The trouble is going to be in the fuse, (does your horn work? Brakelights? if so, NOT the fuse-they use the same fuse) connectors,switch,relay,bulbs,sockets or much less likely- on the coloured wires themselves. Unlikely the ground wire because so much else wouldn't work if this were failing.
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-20-2022, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Problem solved!!! My old TS flasher was toast .... and the 39 year old Ebay bone yard replacement was toast. I bought a new aftermarket and adjustable 2 pin flasher and instantly my troubles were over. This issue has forced me to spend hours printing out and studying the wiring diagram ... so some benefit was realized. Thanks Gorminrider and others for a great help. During all this testing, I unknowingly ran my battery waay down ... so that also was contributing to bad results. Today the Tempter performed like new.
                              Dennco2
                              1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X