Please help dropping centre cylinders 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help dropping centre cylinders 850

Hi I'm tearing my hair out trying to find the fault and any help advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I have restored a 1980 GS850G which hadn't run since 1989. As you can imagine the carbs needed lots of work and have been fully rebuilt and ultrasonically cleaned. Other than an oil change and filters I haven't touched the engine as it appears good with no rattles etc.
    The bike runs perfectly idling at 1000 rpm and is very smooth and responsive with its CV carbs and electronic ignition. It revs and idles in the garage for 15 mins with no problems but as soon as I have done a mile on the road it drops the two centre cylinders with occasional backfiring and popping. Afterwards it won't idle and has no power. I have cleaned the carbs many times but the problem seems to reappear?
    Could it be coils or the CDI even though they are fine in garage even when really hot?

Please help?

Ken
    North East UK

I'm currently also trying to get my 850 to run properly and I can only provide you with knowledge I've read from other posters, not my own experience.

Since your centre cylinders (2-3) are dropping, it sounds like it is an electrical issue as the cylinders fire in pairs (1-4 and 2-3). It's possible that as your bike/engine comes up to temp, the coils heat up, causing a short. Since it's backfiring/popping, it sounds like those cylinders are firing intermittently, which could be caused by a bad ignition coil. You could try swapping your primary and secondary coil leads between the cylinder pairs so that the previous 2-3 coil is firing 1-4 and see if the issue repeats itself on cylinders 1 and 4. If the issue repeats on 1 and 4, I think the issue could be narrowed down to the coils. If the issue persists on 2 and 3 even after swapping the leads, then it might be worth looking into your electronic ignition system which could be failing as it comes up to temp.

For what it's worth, I haven't worked on an 850 with electronic ignition nor do I have my own bike running properly. Just trying my best to think through this issue logically.

Comment

Please check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature to see if anything applies.

You might want to check the plug caps for resistance. Replacing the coil wires is doable also, even though they look sealed.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The 1980 factory electronic ignition module wasn't terribly reliable, at least on the 850. It pegged out on mine at 20 years old, so it got replaced with a Piranha, which had already done ten years on the other bike. It's still working flawlessly.

http://autocar-electrical.co.uk/prod...uki-mc/ckt-su1
        The 1979 version of the Piranha fits the 1980 engine with a simple swap of the nose of the ignition timing cam on the crankshaft end.

Or, you could try a Dyna copy...
        Last edited by Grimly; 09-21-2022, 07:45 PM.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Might also be worth having a close look at the coil supply plugs. They can look okay from the outside but hide a lot of corrosion.
          Another vote for the old Piranha system. The kill and ignition contacts are always worth a clean. If they are taking some voltage it wouldn't take much at the coil plugs to make misfires.
          90% of carb trouble is electrical
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Might also be worth having a close look at the coil supply plugs. They can look okay from the outside but hide a lot of corrosion.
            That's very true. When I was using the bikes every day I'd feel a difference if the 12v supply connections were getting dirty and corroded. Also, the trigger wires from the pick-ups at the crank, where they reached a connector.
            ---- Dave
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Grimly, I have one of those Aliexpress dyna copies on my gs1000. Up to now it's fine, and running MP08 coils from a cbr.
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                Grimly, I have one of those Aliexpress dyna copies on my gs1000. Up to now it's fine, and running MP08 coils from a cbr.
                I'll be pulling the trigger on one of them shortly, I think.
                ---- Dave

Comment

V8griffith. I sent you a private message, maybe I can help.
                  My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Well I think this plea for help is dead. No reply from private message. I'm close by the poster, and willing to help. Never mind, I'll move on.

Comment

hi all
                      apologies I have been dealing with poorly parents. I am still having problems

Summary -
                      engine had new rings and honed
                      head had all valves reground and vac tested
                      new valve shims all correct
                      new coils
                      new ngk caps
                      new ngk plugs
                      carbs rebuilt with standard jetting
                      reg/rectifier replaced as was charging 18v now ok

bike runs well but when run for a while it starts misfiring? gradually gets worse not just middle cylinders random?
                      im thinking is the igniter dying when it gets hot?​

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        The 1980 factory electronic ignition module wasn't terribly reliable, at least on the 850. It pegged out on mine at 20 years old, so it got replaced with a Piranha, which had already done ten years on the other bike. It's still working flawlessly.

http://autocar-electrical.co.uk/prod...uki-mc/ckt-su1
                        The 1979 version of the Piranha fits the 1980 engine with a simple swap of the nose of the ignition timing cam on the crankshaft end.

Or, you could try a Dyna copy...
                        https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004058151562.html

This is one of the most likely possibilities. FWIW, it's not a "CDI", and I have no idea why everyone uses this term for electronic ignitions. But that's another rant for another day.

Anyway, if it's one of the early metal cased units, you can take the cover off and eyeball the circuit board. Even if you have no idea what you're looking at, you may be able to see heat damage beginning. When these things fail, you can definitely see the burned bits, but yours may not show this yet.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The Dyna copy has moved seller...
                          ---- Dave

Comment

Hi, I agree with the other posters that the ignition is a likely culprit. I have had good luck with ignitech ignition and coils , they gave me good service. That been said, if it was my bike, I would double check the valve clearance. It costs nothing but a little time. I have seen many times, dirt bikes run fine when cold only to run like total crap when they get hot and the only problem was tight valves.
                            Good luck and keep us posted
                            1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Agree with him ^^^^ Tight valves can get expensive pretty quick, BTDT... Worth checking, even if showing no problems just to be sure.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X