Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does bad starter relay = no lights/power when key is on? where am I going wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does bad starter relay = no lights/power when key is on? where am I going wrong?

I haven't found an answer via search function. I stare at the wiring diagram and It's probably obvious, but I don't know. Thanks for any insights!

1980 GS850. Good charging system health, (known good battery properly trickle charged. SH775 reg/rec, Installed a cheap voltemeter), Battery is recent, bike charges great.

. This started as on occasional issue, and now it's most of the time.

I switch the key on, and get nothing; no lights, no crank, no click. Stone cold nothing.

If I turn the key enough times, everything will randomly come on as usual: then the bike starts, everything is good until the next time.

When the key is on but nothing lights up, bridging the starter relay posts makes the starter spin fine, but seems there's no power to the ignition because it doesn't fire.

I've removed headlight bucket and gauges and cleaned connections coming from the ignition. I've run contact cleaner into the key slot and wiggled. I've knocked on the side of the starter relay with a piece of wood. I've removed and cleaned fuses and fuse holders.

WHAT AM I MISSING? Will a bad starter relay prevent all power, or is there another mystery box I should replace? Messing with the key/ignition doesn't seem to be helping.
    Thank you so much,
    Robin E in Bellingham, WA
    Robin Elwood
    1980 GS 850T
    My kids wish I had a sidecar. But I don't.
    ~
    Previous:
    '79 GS 850 GN
    '79 Kawasaki KZ400
    '83 GS 650L

Remove ign. Switch and check internals.
    be cautious.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

What would bad internals look like? visible corrosion, or just bad spirits hiding in there?
      Robin Elwood
      1980 GS 850T
      ~
      Previous:
      '79 GS 850 GN
      '79 Kawasaki KZ400
      '83 GS 650L

Comment

Corrosion worn contacts
        I had one once in which the copper bits crumbled to dust
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I don't think a bad starter relay would cause your 'lights out' condition (I have a bad starter/relay and everything else works - 11EZ).

Sounds like a loose/corroded/worn connection. You might check in the area of the steering stem, where movement of the handlebars can cause stress.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yep, starter relay effects only the starter, ign. switch affects most everything except the brake light.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If turning the key repeatedly changes things then the ign switch internals are the most likely suspect.
              Dismantling and cleaning is a fairly straight forward job.
              While you are in switch cleaning mode check the internals of the kill switch as well. It could be taking volts from your coil supply.
              The pigtail plug on the fusebox is also worth a clean but these last two are probably nothing to do with your problem.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks to all: that gives me a direction to go. Appreciate the good advice.
                Robin Elwood
                1980 GS 850T
                ~
                Previous:
                '79 GS 850 GN
                '79 Kawasaki KZ400
                '83 GS 650L

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  If turning the key repeatedly changes things then the ign switch internals are the most likely suspect.
                  Dismantling and cleaning is a fairly straight forward job.
                  While you are in switch cleaning mode check the internals of the kill switch as well. It could be taking volts from your coil supply.
                  The pigtail plug on the fusebox is also worth a clean but these last two are probably nothing to do with your problem.
                  Agreed on all points.

You won't BELIEVE the crud you'll find down inside the switchy slidy bits of the ignition. I suspect that'll be the cure.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Also, pouring solvent down the keyhole does not clean the contacts. Remove the switch and CAREFULLY open it up. Use a copper specific cleaner or very fine sandpaper to refresh the contacts, then rinse with contact cleaner, before reassembly
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Couldn't believe how cruddy it was in there. As stated, take your time. It's a spring-loaded trap, and a ball bearing that needs to go back in correctly to pop into the detents at each key position. I dismantled mine, slathered all the contacts w/ naval jelly, rinsed w/ water after 10 minutes. Made everything shiny and new looking, dried thoroughly w/ compressed air, cleaned w/ electrical contacts cleaner to evaporate any residual water. Then just a touch of deoxit to protect. FYI, it is possible to re-assemble the works exactly 180 degrees wrong. Best to make notes/take pics as you disassemble.
                      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-01-2023, 12:52 PM.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Ditto!
                        And my GS750ET picked up over a volt at the coils after thus cleaning the ignition switch!
                        Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Hmm. Springs (4) and balls (2) are back in their holes, copper connectors cleaned and re-installed. Still nothing: Its cool to know what the key does (and why contact cleaner in the barrel didn't fix the electrics)...but the search continues.
                          Robin Elwood
                          1980 GS 850T
                          ~
                          Previous:
                          '79 GS 850 GN
                          '79 Kawasaki KZ400
                          '83 GS 650L

Comment

Have you got a meter?
                            The red wire at the ign switch should have power permanently. When the switch is ON , power is fed back to the fuse box, orange wire, to the other three circuits.
                            Check for voltage at both sides of the main fuse, fourth from top. Check again at the red wire at the ign switch. Have a look at the wire bundle to the front of the bike at the steering stem. Over time wires break here due to repeated bending from steering inputs.
                            If power is present at the red ign switch and the contacts are clean, check that power is at the orange exit from the switch and check if it is arriving at the fusebox.
                            Last edited by Brendan W; 03-05-2023, 06:53 PM.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I have a meter, and have tested some of these things but not all of them. Thx
                              Robin Elwood
                              1980 GS 850T
                              ~
                              Previous:
                              '79 GS 850 GN
                              '79 Kawasaki KZ400
                              '83 GS 650L

Comment

Working...
                              X