Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter button issue? Is it possible?

Hello,

My GS750E is up and running. Runs well. However, occasionally if the bike is turned off via the kill switch, or you stall the bike, pressing the starter button will do absolutely nothing. Note that I have removed the clutch sensor since I replaced the whole wiring harness and it omitted that feature. I'll turn the ignition switch on and off, power is working and all gauges are lit up as well as headlamp, starter just stops working. Then if I tap the starter button housing with a screwdriver, turn ignition on, the starter button will work all of a sudden.

Any idea what may be causing this? I've read sometimes the starter button needs to be cleaned inside.
    -"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

1981 GS750E "Jezebel II" *Current
    2008 Ninja 650R "Jezebel I" *Ongoing

I can't say about your problem, but this is something I've seen 2 times. I bought a used KZ1300 a few yrs back, and had it shipped in. We unloaded it and when I tried starting it, it would do nothing all lights and gauges worked, starter button nothing. After just fooling with it a while I found if i pushed the button in then slowly eased off of it, it would find a sweet spot and crank just fine. I tried a bunch of times just pushing it easy to find the sweet spot but that didn't work, had to push it in then gradually ease back off to get t to work. I didn't figure anybody would believe me if I told them, just too strange and makes no sense at all. Kept bike appx. 5 yrs and it never failed to start and still had the same problem when I sold it. Last fall a buddy of mine with a Honda Goldwing was telling me his bike is doing the exact same thing, push in and nothing ease off a little and it fires right up. just something you could easily check. No doubt the pecking with a screwdriver sounds more like a weak connection. But I'm no mechanic. Hoping you find something simple. If you take the switch apart be very careful, very small parts that may fall or jump out before you get a chance to see where and how they go back in.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Strip the switch and clean the contacts.
      Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
      VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Thank you both. I will try disassembling and cleaning the starter housing and switch! If it still persist's, I may see if replacing it all together with an after market starter would be the next best answer?

Comment

Originally posted by acr88_ View Post
          Hello,

. . . .. . Then if I tap the starter button housing with a screwdriver, turn ignition on, the starter button will work all of a sudden.
          Yep, that would make me suspect problem with the starter button, especailly since you no longer have a clutch switch. Open the bar controll unit, and try some contact cleaner.

Other cause of such symptoms could be poor ground on the solenoid (which is its mounting to the battery box and battery box may not be well grounded) (assumiong solenoid mounted about same as on Gs that I know)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

A friend bought a gold wing, woudn't start, tightened the wires on the starter button & it started, it's a common problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinks View Post
              A friend bought a gold wing, woudn't start, tightened the wires on the starter button & it started, it's a common problem.
              Thank you! Would you be able to elaborate a little more? Did the re-solder the wires?

Comment

I have a GS 750ES, and the started motor switch just kind of disintegrated. I have a huge collection of parts from having an electronic repair shop for 10 years. I found a switch that, and soldered the connections. I took some two parts epoxy and mixed it together, I, with a Q-tip, applied Vaseline of the area, so when try the shape would hold it in but it wouldn't be stuck to the housing. I fitted the switch in, and it sticks out of the hole, and the button is bigger (if fitted on the switch and is removable, pressed on tight, and square), but not in the way. That was 10 years ago, and it's still holding.

Last edited by Suzukian; 06-20-2023, 11:46 PM. Reason: added word "switch"

Comment

My thoughts too, tightened the wires on a starter switch was something I'd not heard before.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I just replaced mine with below. Needs glued in ( i used rtv ) and the wires are long enough to reach the headlight bucket.

image.png
                    Current:
                    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
                    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
                    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
                    1998 Chevy C2500
                    1999 Rav4

Comment

It's mainly a gold wing thing but just something to check.

Comment

Jinks, we were wondering how he "tightened" the wires on the starter button? A spade connector that needed squeezed tighter, an eye under a screw that needs tightened? We're trying to think of a way to "tighten" a wire on a GS starter button.,

Comment

Some people twist wires together. Not recommended. I've seen bikes that use screw caps meant for house electric connections.

Comment

I had a similar issue with my gsx1100 that i am getting back on the road. Sometimes the starter button worked and sometimes it did not. I connected an additional earth connection from metal tray that starter solenoid is monted on to the battery negative terminal. Works every time now.
                            80 GSX1100 ET
                            82 GSX750 EZ
                            84 GSX1150 ES
                            86 GSX750 ES
                            10 GSXR1000

Comment

On those particular Suzuki motorcycles, the ground wire goes to the engine, Suzuki left the paint on the grounding surface, and it relies on the thread of the bolt to ground. If you remove that bolt, you may see rust on it. It works great if you wire brush that bolt, the file the paint off of the surface of the engine to bare aluminum at that spot, apply dielectric grease to it, so that surface does not oxidize. The mechanical connection will push any of the dielectric out of the way, and you will have a good ground. It's not good electronic practice to have many grounds, as this causes a lot of voltage drops. On a motorcycle, it's not usually a bad thing, but you really just need a good ground from the battery, and all grounds should to to that, or the frame, a part that is unpainted, and do not trust threads to work, much electrolysis goes on there. Too many grounds can cause a buzz in the radio. I don't ride with such contraptions, but used to troubleshoot electronics in aircraft.

Comment

Working...
                              X