No announcement yet.

Starter button issue? Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard about dielectric grease but never tried it. 100% connectivity?

Comment

Yes, the metal contact causes the connection, and the grease cannot get between that. The Dielectric grease prevents corrosion by not allowing moisture to cause oxidation. Dielectric grease does not block current flow. That just plain excrement of the male Bulls. I had an electronic repair shop for 10 years, and am a State certified Electronic Electronic Technician. Dielectric grease can extend the life of switches for Decades.

I've restored many British cars, they need about of quart of the stuff, as they use Brass connectors that actually turn green with the patina they form, and that green corrosion goes about a half in up into the wire. If they had put dielectric grease, they would not have formed the patina, of course, if they had used the same steel that everyone else uses, they wouldn't have a problem either. I replaced all those connectors with bullet style connectors, that had a dab of dielectric grease, for good measure, as the cars were convertible, and everything was exposed to moisture.

Comment

Could it also possibly be the starter motor going bad or its' internal parts wearing out?
        -"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

1981 GS750E "Jezebel II" *Current
        2008 Ninja 650R "Jezebel I" *Ongoing

Comment

Yes, possible, but if that were the problem it doesn't seem tapping the button would get it to work. Could check the starter by, when it's not working put bike in gear, let off the clutch, and rock the bike backwards. Just slight bumping will turn the inn'ards of the starter so the brushes are contacting a different spot. then try button. DO NOT do like we did yrs. ago with old Chevys and Fords, the starter wouldn't work and we'd get under there and tap on the starter with a hammer or heavy wrench, it worked for those old autos, but it will ruin our bike starters.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
          X