Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 gs1100e handlebar control connector fell apart.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1100e handlebar control connector fell apart.

As I posted earlier, my left hand controls need to be replaced. So I decided to see what connection it had to find something comparable. What I ended up finding is this. This is I believe a 9 pin connector for both the left and right hand controls. It looks like I'm now free pick whatever controls I want so long as I can get the female connection to splice into the harness.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Yeah, that's... not uncommon. There are probably more in the headlight shell that look about like that.

You can sometimes de-pin the connector with appropriate tools (and/or strategically break the plastic) and replace the connector shells. There are a couple of sources for OEM or original style connectors. Which one is correct for this application I don't know offhand:

Cycle Terminal - We have Your wiring Needs. OEM Style Japanese Motorcycle Wiring Terminals and Connectors for Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda Motorcycles, from the 60’s to the 90’s. Motorcycle electric products and accessories, Motorcycle Fuse Box's, Bullet Terminals, Spade Terminals and Connectors, Adhesive lined Dual wall Shrink tube, Headlight Relay Kits, Horn Relay Kits, Auxiliary Lighting Kits, Accessory Relay Kits,and more.

Electrical Terminals plugs wires and connector for Japanese Bikes in CRC2's Online Catalog of New motorcycle Parts and Accessories Indy

This site sells a lot of the more modern stuff, but he does stock many of the old-skool unsealed connectors, lots of tools, info, helpful close-ups of connectors, crimps, etc.

(Yeah, I know the name sounds sketch... it's a guy from Canada who lives in Japan and sources OEM connectors.)

The other main way to go is to replace these with modern sealed connectors; Deutsch, Weatherpack, or Metri-Pack. The disadvantage here is the expense of the tooling and parts, plus sealed connectors are just larger. You can get kits and save a few bucks, and there are also knockoff kits on Amazon... some actually ain't bad.

With any of these, it takes some practice and somewhat obscure tooling to get the crimps just exactly right. Order plenty of extra terminals, and make sure you have THE correct crimper. It can be hard to tell.
    Last edited by bwringer; 12-30-2023, 01:35 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I'll look into those. I'll probably get both left and right bar controls first to see what connector they have, then slice and dice into the bikes harness.

Comment

Working...
      X