Starter solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter solenoid

I had a weird thing happen to me today. I hardly ride my bike right now because I commute on the bicycle. Went to the doctors office without incident but when I came out click and no power.
    Called the wife and got some tools and a multimeter. I also brought a spare fuse block.
    I determined that the click was coming from the solenoid before the power was dead. Not the usual solenoid click but a bad connection type click.
    I could not get the starter to turn by jumping the solenoid. I wasn't getting power to the switch via the battery. I carry a spare battery cable so I switched it. Still the same.
    I disconnected the battery power to the switch and it clicked like it should when pushing the starter button.
    I bypassed the solenoid, push started it and rode home.
    This is my question. How can a switch be connected straight from the battery with a Y connected straight to the fuse block cut the power to the entire bike. Can the switch short out? But wouldn't you still get the power at the Y to the fuse block?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Jump it or change the battery.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I didn't know bicycles had solenoids and starters.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        I didn't know bicycles had solenoids and starters.

I was wondering why Bill got home late last nite; Solenoid on the bicycle was out

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          This is my question. How can a switch be connected straight from the battery with a Y connected straight to the fuse block cut the power to the entire bike. Can the switch short out? But wouldn't you still get the power at the Y to the fuse block?
          You need "T" connections, not "Y" connections.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            I was wondering why Bill got home late last nite; Solenoid on the bicycle was out
            No, he probably blew the crank out the bottom of the frame.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It was the battery.
              Thanks for all the help

Except Dale of course
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I put a Lowe's lawnmower solenoid on it and it did the same thing. ARRRGH
                Since the battery had good connections I came to the conclusion the battery had an internal short. Jumped the bike without the battery from the car (not running) and it started right up.
                Bought a Yuasa sealed battery for $99. Had it charged and ready to go in an hour.
                I had a fun ride home from work. I put a new Silverstar headlight in it about a month ago and never rode it until today. With a good charging system and a new battery the light was very nice. Plus I love the feel of a 1100. Can't wait until the 1230 motor to get done. Looking like two weeks.

Comment

ok so was the silver star headlite for the bisexual cycle or the motorcycle

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    ok so was the silver star headlite for the bisexual cycle or the motorcycle
                    I've felt man raped after a fifty mile ride with my old seat. Bicycle seat that is.

Comment

Working...
                    X