stator q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator q

a friend has an 07 gs500 stator at my disposal; will this fit and/or is it better than what I have now? Mine works and I'll be putting a new rr on, just wondered if it would be worth the trouble swapping it

Any input?

Comment

Hi,

Check the part number for your stator unit at Electrosport. That page will have additional information to let you know what other bikes use the same part.

If yours is working I don't see any benefit in swapping. Can you just keep it as a spare? The biggest problems with stators are caused by corroded connections and grounds. Keep your wiring clean and your electrics should last a long time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll be putting a new(er) rr on this week, and I'll be putting new connectors on the wires. If I used the one from the 07 bike, it has a different connector as well. I'll confirm my output from my current one, but I had wondered if the newer one offered any better performance.

Comment

Hi,

I did some research for you. It will fit your bike. I do believe the OEM Suzuki stators can last longer than the aftermarket parts from Electrosport or RMStator. I do not believe you will notice any performance increase. If you can get it, keep it as a spare. No need to replace it right away. Wait until you have to. That's what I'd do anyway.

BassCliff

Comment

Uhhhh. I find it hard to believe that they reverted back to a 12 pole stator they quit using 27 years ago. You SURE that will work on his bike? The 77-79 750 and 850 used a 12 pole stator with a 6 pole rotor. They went to an 18 pole stator and 9 pole rotor in 80 and never went back afaik. I have looked many times and never found an aftermarket replacement for the 12 pole. The best options were to buy a used OEM (which I have stockpiled ) or have the stocker rewound OR switch to an 18/9 pole stator/rotor set up off an 850. If this in fact will work, that would be nice to know. Keep us informed.

Comment

^^^^^ What Josh said.

Your 750 has a 12 pole stator. An 18 pole stator will not interchange unless you also install a rotor from a 1980+ GS850 that is compatible with the 18 pole stator.

That GS500 stator will fit any 1980+ GS850 (the connectors are different, but that's a piffling detail). In fact, my 1983 GS850 is wearing a GS500 stator. There are also several other GS models it will fit. So it is a very useful part to a lot of people.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Uhhhh. I find it hard to believe that they reverted back to a 12 pole stator they quit using 27 years ago. You SURE that will work on his bike?
                Oops.

I missed the fact that Mr. crapwacker has a '79. I'm very sorry.

The only way to use a newer 18-pole stator on a pre-1980 bike would be to get a newer magnetic rotor too, one that works with the 18-pole stator. The 12-pole rotor will not work with an 18-pole stator. But I would think the rotor from the GS500 will fit too. Can you get both? I would consider it an "upgrade" to go from a 12-pole stator to an 18-pole stator. It would also make it much easier to get another replacement in the future.

I apologize for my oversight.

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2010, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X