No announcement yet.

Compu-Fire SERIES R/R Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000 watts is a lot of power on a motorcycle, must be to run the stereo. cb radio, heaters, lights, sirens, and a bunch of other stuff. Fortunately our GS bikes only require a fraction of that.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
      1000 watts is a lot of power on a motorcycle, must be to run the stereo. cb radio, heaters, lights, sirens, and a bunch of other stuff. Fortunately our GS bikes only require a fraction of that.
      Yep and that is what causes the stators to fry, the shunted stators can NOT handle sustained high RPM riding.

Comment

Dennis Kirk is still out of stock -- any word on a source for these regulators that actually has stock?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Dennis Kirk is still out of stock -- any word on a source for these regulators that actually has stock?
          Martin (Wallowgreen) says he ordered from K&G cycles last Thursday. His note

I spoke online to one of their service reps as I placed the order. He said they didn't have stock but would drop ship it from compu-fire directly. I just spoke with the same guy again this morning and he said it shipped out from them on Friday.
          For some reason he could not raise USMOTOMAN on the phone.

I heard another guy got one on ebay but I saw none listed.

Comment

So I am searching for thjs R/R. I run into this and I would like to know if I am looking at the wrong part or is this really a good price.

http://www.debrix.com/ProductDetails...=CF55120%2DMCA

Comment

SO the CompuFire you listed is for all the GS'? Or just the 1000s? Im probably going to swap the R/R when I do the stator on my 650.

Comment

Originally posted by Richsuz View Post
                So I am searching for thjs R/R. I run into this and I would like to know if I am looking at the wrong part or is this really a good price.

http://www.debrix.com/ProductDetails...=CF55120%2DMCA
                Thats for a Harley.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                  Thats for a Harley.
                  Aren't they all? There isn't one made for GS's, this is being adapted for our bikes...and IF it were for a HD, why would it not work on our GS's? 32 A, three phase.

Comment

The only compufire that works is the part number listed in the link.

Comment

Jim the compufire works better then those fjr RR you were using? All your tech talk is over my head but seeing you in action first hand (Bill knows what i am talking about ) and knowing your are a electrical engineer I have all the confidence you are right the compufire is a better mouse trap.
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                        Jim the compufire works better then those fjr RR you were using? All your tech talk is over my head but seeing you in action first hand (Bill knows what i am talking about ) and knowing your are a electrical engineer I have all the confidence you are right the compufire is a better mouse trap.
                        yes SERIES R/R's will solve chronic problems with cooking stators ; none of the SHUNT regulators will do that.

Comment

ahh so the GSXR and FJR stuff are shunt type which are not as good at the series RR. Ok thats simple enough.
                          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x
                          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                            ahh so the GSXR and FJR stuff are shunt type which are not as good at the series RR. Ok thats simple enough.
                            Early GSXR have alternators which control outputs with feild control so it not the same and doesnt have the same issues.

Comment

My battery was dry every couple of weeks. Last week it died. Put a 12V 7ah battery from the GS125 to start the bike and it started easely. BUt my Charging system was showing 13.5 volts at 3000 RPM and 16.6 V at 4000 and UP. Bought a new YB14L-A2 battery but the charging was still high. Removed the R/R and it has some blueish greenish (potasium color?) paste oosing from it.Time to change the R/R. Just placed an order from www.debrix.com. $204.64 for the Compu-fire R/R, shipped to Guatemala, Priority mail. Hope they are a good supplier and ship ASAP.

On inspection, I see that one of the leads from the Stator does not go direct to the R/R. goes into the Harness and another wire from the Harness connects to the third input lead from the R/R. Is this going to change with the series R/R?

Comment

For those riding shafties, here is a description of mounting the less expensive, but larger Cycle Electric 601 series regulator in a GS1000G.
                                Dogma
                                --
                                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                                '80 GS850 GLT
                                '80 GS1000 GT
                                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                                X