No announcement yet.

Volt meter recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

picked up one of the earthquake proof ones. Does this wire right to the battery? maybe i could wire it into my sspb?
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I'd probably elect to wire it to a switched source otherwise I'd be measuring voltage 24/7.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
        picked up one of the earthquake proof ones. Does this wire right to the battery? maybe i could wire it into my sspb?
        Hook it to O/G (Pin7) SIGNAL or the RED2( Pin 8) switched ACCESSORY if you want the voltmeter only ON when the ignition switch is on. You would need t o jumper ACCESSORY to come on with the IGNITION SW however. If you use O/G, then keep it as close to the SSPB output as possible. If you converted to Led then probably any where on o/g.

If you add a charger port then it is nice to see volts when trickle charging but you need an extra switch.
        I have an accessory port for 12v devices including trickle chargers. So I wanted to see voltage when the bike is off but not drain the batt. I measure the unswitched output at the plug but with a small inline switch I can turn off.

it is not necessary to trickle charge , only to activate/deactivate the meter.

Here is a schematic

Attached Files
        Last edited by posplayr; 05-14-2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

thanks posplayer!

greg
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Wow. I think I got that right! Except for tapping into the Gr wire (tach, speedo, etc. lights) in the headlight bucket for gauge power. Why keep it as close as possible to SSPB on the O/G? I figured that wouldn't matter, as long as the sense wire was as close as possible to the battery, and Neg at SPG.

Thanks for the amazingly helpful info (yet again).
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              Wow. I think I got that right! Except for tapping into the Gr wire (tach, speedo, etc. lights) in the headlight bucket for gauge power. Why keep it as close as possible to SSPB on the O/G? I figured that wouldn't matter, as long as the sense wire was as close as possible to the battery, and Neg at SPG.

Thanks for the amazingly helpful info (yet again).
              Grey is the O/G just down stream.

The sense wire (you still not running a SERIES R/R?) keeps the R/R charging the battery at the proper 14.5V even if there is resistance between the Battery(+) and the R/R(+). It doesn't help for dirty grounds). However if you are drawing 5-10 amps for blinker, brakes and tail light through the O/G and there are dirty contacts you could get quite a big drop when you consider you are trying to monitor the battery voltage.

If you take O/G output right at the SSPB then the only voltage drop is due to the SSPB MOSFETS which is about 0.1 ohms.

On the other hand if you did not load the SWITCHED accessory and used that as your sense point, it would basically be extremely close to battery voltage as you are not pulling any current from it.

Basically for measuring voltage you need to be as close to the battery as you mentioned, but you need it switched and the SSPB is in fact a bunch of electronics switches. So the closest thing to the battery that is switched is the output O/G of the SSPB.

Note the 0.1 ohm resistance is slightly more than a perfectly clean contacts or mechanical relay. However, those things do not stay pristine and will corrode increasing the resistance. On the other hand the MOSFET does not degrade and doesn't get any worse.

Given all that teh O/G may not even be teh best choice.

Comment

Just got one of these, which sidesteps the mounting issue for the moment, and is transferrable if I put proper 2" gauges into the fairing later on.

Be nice to find an oil temp gauge in the same style and size.

Attached Files
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

That looks like a good solution for my 78 1000,thanks Grimly

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Grey is the O/G just down stream.

The sense wire (you still not running a SERIES R/R?) keeps the R/R charging the battery at the proper 14.5V even if there is resistance between the Battery(+) and the R/R(+). It doesn't help for dirty grounds). However if you are drawing 5-10 amps for blinker, brakes and tail light through the O/G and there are dirty contacts you could get quite a big drop when you consider you are trying to monitor the battery voltage.

If you take O/G output right at the SSPB then the only voltage drop is due to the SSPB MOSFETS which is about 0.1 ohms.

On the other hand if you did not load the SWITCHED accessory and used that as your sense point, it would basically be extremely close to battery voltage as you are not pulling any current from it.

Basically for measuring voltage you need to be as close to the battery as you mentioned, but you need it switched and the SSPB is in fact a bunch of electronics switches. So the closest thing to the battery that is switched is the output O/G of the SSPB.

Note the 0.1 ohm resistance is slightly more than a perfectly clean contacts or mechanical relay. However, those things do not stay pristine and will corrode increasing the resistance. On the other hand the MOSFET does not degrade and doesn't get any worse.

Given all that teh O/G may not even be teh best choice.
                    Pos, what you're describing doesn't sound like the schematic you drew. Or at least, my reading of it. My distal connection to O/G powers the gauges ("lights" on your schematic). The voltmeter's positive wire ("sense") is almost directly on the battery terminal, so I don't have a collection of voltage drops on it. The gauge reads almost exactly the same voltage my multimeter reads at the battery terminals.

My regulator has been a Cycle Electric 601 for four years now. I was referring to the new voltmeter's sense wire, not a 5- or 6-wire R/R.
                    Dogma
                    --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Pos, what you're describing doesn't sound like the schematic you drew. Or at least, my reading of it. My distal connection to O/G powers the gauges ("lights" on your schematic). The voltmeter's positive wire ("sense") is almost directly on the battery terminal, so I don't have a collection of voltage drops on it. The gauge reads almost exactly the same voltage my multimeter reads at the battery terminals.

My regulator has been a Cycle Electric 601 for four years now. I was referring to the new voltmeter's sense wire, not a 5- or 6-wire R/R.

Hook it to O/G (Pin7) SIGNAL or the RED2( Pin 8) switched ACCESSORY if you want the voltmeter only ON when the ignition switch is on.
                      I described several things that I figured did not need a diagram.So you are correct the diagram does not reflect connecting the voltmeter to O/G or RED2 the two things I initially mentioned. As you see above, O/G and RED2 are only recommended if you DO NOT want to measure the voltage when the bike was off.

However, the diagram is how I would suggest using the SSPB for use for a power plug and to monitor the voltage as I can do it with the bike off. I figured this did need diagram to show those details.

Comment

37mm diameter digital oil temp gauge to match the voltmeter... not too sure about how weatherproof it might be, or how easily it could be made so, but it's cheap enough to find out. I'm sure I can find a bar mount clamp from one of the many sellers of flashlight mounts for bicycles.

The seller has a range of other instruments.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          I described several things that I figured did not need a diagram.So you are correct the diagram does not reflect connecting the voltmeter to O/G or RED2 the two things I initially mentioned. As you see above, O/G and RED2 are only recommended if you DO NOT want to measure the voltage when the bike was off.

However, the diagram is how I would suggest using the SSPB for use for a power plug and to monitor the voltage as I can do it with the bike off. I figured this did need diagram to show those details.
                          OK, that all makes sense to me. But the way I read your post, it sounded like you expect the voltmeter to measure voltage from O/G, instead of from the wire labeled "sense" on the schematic.
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

OK, that all makes sense to me. But the way I read your post, it sounded like you expect the voltmeter to measure voltage from O/G, instead of from the wire labeled "sense" on the schematic.
                            It did and it does. As my GF says , "it is an if-then-statement"; If you want a switched source to read voltage when the ignition is turned on, use O/G as close to the SSPB as practical (or Red2 with provisos). Interpret "read voltage" as "sense voltage".

I did not draw a schematic as it should be pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                              37mm diameter digital oil temp gauge to match the voltmeter... not too sure about how weatherproof it might be, or how easily it could be made so, but it's cheap enough to find out. I'm sure I can find a bar mount clamp from one of the many sellers of flashlight mounts for bicycles.

The seller has a range of other instruments.
                              With the size of those small LED displays, you can almost stick them anywhere. I just ordered a red LED Boost gauge that I'm going to dissect to see if I can mount the gauge in my stock gauge cluster rather than in the gauge pod housing. Beyond my stock gauges, I'm running VOM 52mm Volts (90 degree) and 15 psi mechanical (270 degree)Pressure gauges. I also have a 270 degree Volt meter on order, but if the boost gauges comes apart , I will not be using it.

Mechanical dial gauges are really much better except in the case of volts, where the swing is really not large enough and with pressure gauges because unless you get a electronic gauge which is pretty expensive in 15 psi range, the mechanical gauges wear out. I was able to repair mine well beyond the factory robustness, but it will eventually wear out as well.

The GS1100ED has so many obsolete idiot lights there is actually quite a bit of room for these small LED displays if bare. I already prototyped the volt meter and it fits in place of the electrolyte idiot light. I have plans for conversion of several of the idiot lights , and then get rid of my gauge pods. More on that later.
                              Last edited by posplayr; 05-16-2015, 10:47 PM.

Comment

The water proof one is very accurate. I tested from 3.5V up to 30V and it tracked very well. My power supply is three digits, but under 10V only shows to 0.1V and this little bugger shift to 0.01 V resolution below 10V. The numeral height is smaller than the other LED I have and it is smaller than the LED in this boost gauge which I disassembled.

I'm planning on mounting both Volt and Pressure meter into my dash.

Comment

Working...
                                X