No announcement yet.

Volt meter recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pos, I saw all of those on eBay. I think the panel mount came the closest to what I was looking for, but I'd prefer it in a can like the one koolaid kid suggested. I suppose I could do some kit bashing with a cheap can-style gauge and the panel mount. yuck.

I guess I'm not going to find anything digital that fits visually with the G cluster. Perhaps I could find a place inside the cluster for a tiny LCD unit. Do you happen to know, is the Show Chrome unit a single board, or can I dismantle it and reconfigure it some way that suits me?

I'll save you all some time pointing out the irony of me being so picky about the visuals of a volt meter when the bike is covered in bed liner.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

[QUOTE=Dogma;1256071]
      I guess I'm not going to find anything digital that fits visually with the G cluster. Perhaps I could find a place inside the cluster for a tiny LCD unit. Do you happen to know, is the Show Chrome unit a single board, or can I dismantle it and reconfigure it some way that suits me?

[QUOTE]

I would but the cheap multi color LED version and give up on the 0.1V resolution.

I doubt you could cut the Showchrome in 1/2 and have it live. The display is quite wide for, time, temp and voltage all being shown at the same time.

Comment

[QUOTE=posplayr;1256080]
        Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        I doubt you could cut the Showchrome in 1/2 and have it live. The display is quite wide for, time, temp and voltage all being shown at the same time.
        Oh, it's all one LCD. I failed to notice that.
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

This is Mrs. Steve posting,

I have a volt meter on my bike and enjoy the peace of mind that I have while riding knowing where my charging system is and any time. I have struggled with the well known charging gremlins that trouble the GSs and have caught more then one problem before it caused me to call for a ride.

Having gauges to report the health of my car or bike is a common thing as Mr. Steve has always enjoyed the infomation they provide from his earliest driving days.

I strongly support the use of a volt meter, but I do not have a real opinion on which ones are prettier than another.

Last edited by Steve; 07-30-2010, 02:13 PM.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I strongly support the use of a volt meter, but I do not have a real opinion on which ones are prettier than another.

Maybe we should ask BigJake; he is an expert at "pretty-ness" especially on machine work

Comment

Dale, I understand your aversion to the Show Chrome. Its lack of waterproofing would make it useless for anyone riding with me. Saturday morning at RRR is typical for any rally I attend. The one I showed would also come in digital format by various vendors (most don't actually make them, they are repackaged), but would still be in a can and large (2 1/16") like the ones pos uses.
              I found this one interesting, although it does not display any actual values: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=163546

Just a thought.

Comment

I've read in many places that the tiny multicolor LED is the cat's ass (that means it's good) for this particular use. It's easy to hide, obviously, and from what I've heard you quickly learn to track the fluctuations in color almost subconsciously, and a decline in performance will be quickly evident.

You don't need the numbers blinking at you day-to-day. If the indicator stays red when it shouldn't, break out your multimeter to get numbers.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

From the urban dictionary: cat's ass: The very best. The finest. The epitome. Most excellent.
                  LMFAO.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    Dale, I understand your aversion to the Show Chrome. Its lack of waterproofing would make it useless for anyone riding with me. Saturday morning at RRR is typical for any rally I attend. The one I showed would also come in digital format by various vendors (most don't actually make them, they are repackaged), but would still be in a can and large (2 1/16") like the ones pos uses.
                    I found this one interesting, although it does not display any actual values: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=163546

Just a thought.
                    OK, I had another poke around and found the digital one. A bit pricey in that brand, George. More than I wanted to spend.

Brian, I don't trust myself with color changes. I'm a bit red-green color blind, and the issue seems to have more to do with the wiring than the sensors. Good point about the numbers blinking. They would probably grab my attention every time the voltage changed, which I wouldn't want.

Now then, if I expand with George's search of non-bike-specific volt meters, I find several options. I didn't see before. For example, this for about $40:

I know, I've been harping on getting a digital display, but this is the first voltage clock that has the range of values I'm actually interested in. Everything else I've seen goes from 8-18V, which usually means the graduations a too close together to read a precise value. Most likely, ist's still an 8-18V, just with fewer markings. You can see where the needle rests is a bit below where 8V might be. The misalignment of the graduations to the needle pivot makes me a little leery of quality though. And it would bug me.

I kept looking at automotive gauges, and discovered the term "full-sweep". OK, these buggers are all near $100 too. Until I found this:

About $55, Ø52 mm, also available with amber back-lighting (LED). (They have a $75 version driven by stepper motors, implying some precise digital circuitry instead of the magnetic coil and spring variety.) This would give me what I really wanted from the digital, which was precision. On this, you can see 0.1V, and it looks approximately period correct.

Pos, I'm guessing your VDO isn't naturally waterproof. Did you just seal the joints and openings with silicone? I see Summit Racing offers mounting cups, perhaps they would be helpful.

Thanks for the input folks, I think you've got me shoved in the right direction now.
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Autometer is probably the most expensive brand around, and not what I would put on my bike. Keep in mind my TransAm is a very expensive Bird. I just used that as an example.
                      If you want a digital canned voltmeter, I can help you find one at a reasonable price.
                      Any car-based instrument I would put on a bike, I would waterproof. Easy to do, easy to remove.

Comment

VDO: Last time my charging system failed I knew immediately, turned around and headed for home.

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                        Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          I've read in many places that the tiny multicolor LED is the cat's ass (that means it's good) for this particular use. ... You don't need the numbers blinking at you day-to-day. If the indicator stays red when it shouldn't, break out your multimeter to get numbers.
                          Brian, I don't trust myself with color changes. I'm a bit red-green color blind, and the issue seems to have more to do with the wiring than the sensors.
                          Too bad you have that color-blindness problem.
                          There is a nice little unit from Electrical Connection that is a single 1/4" LED that changes colors based on voltage range.
                          Can't say I fully agree with their settings, but the concept is good and the price is right.

This would give me what I really wanted from the digital, which was precision.
                          One thing that is MUCH better than precision is accuracy.

I have had digital gauges and analog gauges. For most things automotive especially if you need to read them and interpret the readings while driving), analog works better. To be able to see the difference between 13.9 volts and 13.8 volts while going down the road really doesn't mean squat. By the time you drop more than a couple tenths of a volt, you will have moved at least a needle width on the gauge, so it will be noticeable.

I have seen digital gauges that had the 0.1 volt precision that did not agree with what I thought should be there, so I got out my calibrated Fluke multimeter and found that the "precise" voltmeter was off by about 0.7 volts. Yes, it was precise, but it was not accurate.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

You bring up a good point, Steve. When is the number important? I will swear that when I am 100 turns into the Dragon, that number will not matter to me nor do I want to see it. But when I am on the slab headed to a destination, I will check it out. How do you make it stand out when it should be seen, and disappear when it should not be seen?
                            On my TransAm, the gauges I care about are in the glove box. When I care, it is open. When I do not, it is closed. Not sure how to do that with a bike.

Comment

On my Wing, my voltmeter and thermometer are both analog.

They are mounted below the main gauge panel.

Below the main line of sight, but readily visible when desired.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

One thing that is MUCH better than precision is accuracy.

Steve,

Um, yes. I only really care about relative accuracy though. I don't care so much if the needle points to the right number within 0.5 V, but I want a 0.5V change to show as a 0.5V change on the gauge. However, it would be nice if the gauge and the multimeter agree.
                                Dogma
                                --

--
                                '80 GS850 GLT
                                '80 GS1000 GT
                                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                                X