High Heat Stator wire for the DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Heat Stator wire for the DIY

A while back I replaced my stator with a new one and noticed that the wire from the stator to the regulator was a very soft wire. During the instalation it got pinched and shorted. Thought i had killed it!

I came across a very large quanity of the high heat wire that is of the same construction type as the factory wire coming from the stator. I have it in white , red and black. Rated to 300 degrees Celsius. It is used in wiring dies and heaters on injection molding machines. I used this to fix mine.

If any one wants any let me know. Could probably ship 30-40 feet in a US postal flat rate small box pretty cheap.
    Ken

Sounds good to me!

I'd like some of this wire in black. Assuming you're in the US, how much for a hunk o' wire shipped to Indianapolis, 46250? PayPal is probably easiest.

Shoot me an email: brian@bwringer.com
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Got my box 'o wire!

Very, very nice stuff. Not your usual parts store crap. This is serious wire.

It's 14 or maybe 12 gauge (I'm at work, so I don't have anything to compare it to), with a woven layer of on top of some sort of rubbery sheathing.

Also, in case anyone's wondering, 300C is 572F. Like I said, serious wire.

(Darkstang, you may want to post in the parts section if you're looking to sell more of this.)
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Got my box 'o wire! ... It's 14 or maybe 12 gauge ...
        If it's that large, are you going to be able to get enough turns on the stator poles?

I have heard there were problems with 16-gauge wire being too large.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          If it's that large, are you going to be able to get enough turns on the stator poles?

I have heard there were problems with 16-gauge wire being too large.

It's not magnet wire for winding the stator -- it's for the leads from the stator to the outside world. Or anywhere else you need high-heat wire.

The outer covering is sort of a fiberglass woven material over a rubbery insulation layer. You'd need to handle getting the wires through the grommet in the stator cover in a different way, or just bore the grommet and use a blob of silicone.

Looking at it again, I think it's 14 gauge.
          Eat more venison.

Comment

Mine pulled throught the grommet fairly easy. Little dab of oil on the grommet.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              It's not magnet wire for winding the stator -- it's for the leads from the stator to the outside world. ...
              Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X