Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging

Hi guys I had problems with my bike not charging the battery properly. Cleaned all the earths etc and now have 13.5 on meter when testing it. Is this enough or should it be higher. Thanks
    Wayne

Sounds about right from what I saw. Have you gone through the stator papers though?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Its better than a continuous drain, but is that 13.5V measurement with the RPMs up or at idle? Need to give her some throttle to properly test the stator/reg-rect for proper charging voltage back at the battery. If only 13.5 when reved that might be too low?

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/statorpapers4.php

Link to Revised PHASE A of Stator Pages:
        Last edited by posplayr; 11-16-2015, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Hi guys it was reading 13.5 with the revs high, not sure if they were as high as 5K though as I don't have a rev counter fitted to bike. Will go through stator paper test tommorow. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by wdavie View Post
            Hi guys it was reading 13.5 with the revs high, not sure if they were as high as 5K though as I don't have a rev counter fitted to bike. Will go through stator paper test tommorow. Thanks again
            if so then probably bad connections between the positive side of battery and the R/R.

If it went up to 14V and then started backing down at even higher RPM that is "fold back" associated with poor connections. Voltage at teh batter ydrops as youi try to push curretnt to it from a fixed voltage output at the R/R

Comment

Hi guys it was reading 13.5 with the revs high, not sure if they were as high as 5K though as I don't have a rev counter fitted to bike.
              Is the bike capable of being ridden? Get it up to 70 mph (110 kph) and notice the sound of the engine. THAT is 5,000 rpm.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                if so then probably bad connections between the positive side of battery and the R/R.

If it went up to 14V and then started backing down at even higher RPM that is "fold back" associated with poor connections. Voltage at teh batter ydrops as youi try to push curretnt to it from a fixed voltage output at the R/R
                Hi it stayed static at about 13.5V didn't drop down at all when throttle held steady.

Comment

Hi it stayed static at about 13.5V didn't drop down at all when throttle held steady.
                  fold back means
                  "drops with RPM"

NOT

"drops with time"

Comment

Next thing to try is to run a ground wire directly from the battery negative terminal to the R/R and retest
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                    X