Fusebox Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JStones View Post
    what other things do you guys like to add to these fuse boxes? 12 Volt outlet?
    I have a 12 volt outlet, XM radio, CB radio/intercom, GPS and a couple extra lights.

Yeah, that's on my 850.

The Wing includes the cappucino machine, microwave, heated and massaging La-Z-Boy recliner and all the other typical 'Wing stuff'.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A KLR is nothing without at least 50 farkles & mods. Mine had 95+ and thought of cooking up a few more to break the 100 but got lazy (lazier?)

Have you done Bill Watson's thermostat by-pass?

Norm

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      I have a KLR... with plenty of Farkles thanks

Comment

Separate thought:

Dig out your voltmeter and use it to check the voltage drop at each fuse in the fuse box. With key on and circuit active (i.e. headlight switch on), place one meter lead onto the fuse clip and the other lead onto the fuse end cap at that end. Voltage should be zero which I mean to be less than 1/10 volt. Check the other fuse end in the same manner and move to the next fuse. Any voltage drop at a fuse is the sign of a poor connection which means impending heat and failure. Catch them early before there's a melted fuse box or fried fuse.

You can do the same thing by checking for a voltage drop between the two parts of a bullet connector, etc.

HIH

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
          Separate thought:

Dig out your voltmeter and use it to check the voltage drop at each fuse in the fuse box. With key on and circuit active (i.e. headlight switch on), place one meter lead onto the fuse clip and the other lead onto the fuse end cap at that end. Voltage should be zero which I mean to be less than 1/10 volt. Check the other fuse end in the same manner and move to the next fuse. Any voltage drop at a fuse is the sign of a poor connection which means impending heat and failure. Catch them early before there's a melted fuse box or fried fuse.

You can do the same thing by checking for a voltage drop between the two parts of a bullet connector, etc.

HIH

Norm
          Do you have a picture to help me know where the leads go? Sometimes I need visual assistance.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The leads just need to touch, one lead to the clip and the other to the metal end cap of the fuse on the same end.

The meter is "looking" for a voltage between the to leads. In this case it will be the connection between the fuse clip and its end cap. There should be zero volts shown or milli/micro-volts.

Here is a photo which I hope is useful:

I'm hoping that you can see that the meter leads touch the brass connector with one and the fuse end cap with the other.

Norm

Comment

Just a reminder, when you are doing any voltage drop test, the normal current needs to be flowing in the circuit. You are measuring the voltage required to cause the current to flow through the connection between the fuse and fuse clip. Since we don't want any work to be done in forcing current through that "circuit" there should be no voltage drop (no voltage lost).

For example, if checking the headlight fuse, have the key on and the headlight on high beam because that creates the largest load (most current/amps.)

If voltage is measured it means that we are doing work to cause current flow so heat will be produced there, both of which are not good. Any voltage lost there is subtracted from the total voltage available to cause current flow in that circuit. Ideally, we want to see all the voltage applied to the headlight but we can work to more specific tests.

Testing your fuses for voltage drop is both a good precaution against failures due to heating and good practice.

HIH

Norm

Comment

Done

I got the fusebox switched over and added a 12 Volt outlet. I have 2 fuses available for additional mods in the future. Very happy with the switch. Thank you for all of your help Steve.

Comment

Working...
                X