Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS1100ES Harness

Hi,
    I'm new here and a car guy.I purchased an '83 GS1100ES as a restoration project bike and it suffers from a heavily molested wiring harness. I've called a few places and have been unable to get anywhere to finding a harness for this bike.I was wondering if there is any way to use other model bikes harness to cross over with slight changes.(P.S. Bike also has a Dyna 3 ingnition with the 3 ohm coils)

Really need some help here.

-Steve

First, welcome to the GSR.
    Second, the harness is available from online vendors. Bike Bandit lists it for $228 and shows it available: http://www.bikebandit.com/1983-suzuk...5995#sch285231
    There are cheaper vendors out there such as Boulevard Suzuki, Babbitts on line, etc.

Comment

Boulevard will be having a sale this weekend, too.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thank you for the reply! Can't wait to get it running again.

Update:checked availabilty on bandit its a no go :[
        Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

You'll need to check around. Look on BassCliff's mega welcome for a list of preferred vendors. Look in the Suzuki Owner's section for one of his welcome posts.
          I seem to recall this coming up previously. Perhaps TheCafeKid recalls the solution. Before he became a deserter to an off-brand bike he owned an 83 ES.

Comment

Look in the For Sale section for the Boulevard Suzuki sale. Call Ashley and see if she can help you. You will also receive a significant discount and free shipping.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 83GS1100ES,

Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The ESD harness is very different to the EZ harness that is available. The EZ converts easily to the ED harness

Comment

Could this be it?

part number, 33610-49500, item number 1-1, price $192.61

This is from Boulevard Suzuki's site, supposedly a upcoming sale on the 16th, cheaper prices. Check back frequently around that date for sale pricing.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                    Could this be it?

part number, 33610-49500, item number 1-1, price $192.61

This is from Boulevard Suzuki's site, supposedly a upcoming sale on the 16th, cheaper prices. Check back frequently around that date for sale pricing.
                    Possibly, but I question their assertion that the same harness fits both the ED and the ESD. The ESD has the fairing, electronic tach, different instrument cluster, etc. Again, a call to Ashley will be required to clarify. She seems amenable to searching out difficult to find parts.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      Possibly, but I question their assertion that the same harness fits both the ED and the ESD. The ESD has the fairing, electronic tach, different instrument cluster, etc. Again, a call to Ashley will be required to clarify. She seems amenable to searching out difficult to find parts.
                      I thought for sure I'd get better info on the fische than that. Could be also the basic harness is the same, but all the stuff that plugs into it might be different.
                      I think E-bay might be the cheapest alternative. I really don't like to splice wires if I can help it, if it weren't for the plastic connectors I wouldn't think it would be to tough to build one with some good wire, bullet connectors and a good wiring schematic.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                        I thought for sure I'd get better info on the fische than that. Could be also the basic harness is the same, but all the stuff that plugs into it might be different.
                        I think E-bay might be the cheapest alternative. I really don't like to splice wires if I can help it, if it weren't for the plastic connectors I wouldn't think it would be to tough to build one with some good wire, bullet connectors and a good wiring schematic.
                        I agree, it was a bit odd. Perhaps that is what all the plug in wires were for, IDK. Again, Ashley should be able to clarify. AFA the connectors, there is a source on-line for those, I don't recall the name of the company.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          ... AFA the connectors, there is a source on-line for those, I don't recall the name of the company.
                          A couple of sources:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Thanks for these links. I have an 82 850L and the wiring harness is one of many thing I will have to redo. Can't find a harness anywhere and think I may have to eventually make my own.

Comment

I hate wiring, so when I have to re-do wiring, I tend to use modern waterproof connectors or well-protected spade connectors (heat shrink, dielectric grease, the works).

Suzuki's OEM connectors suck, and they are still known for undersized, unprotected connectors up to the present day (ask any V-Strom owner when his headlights quit).

There's little reason to repeat Suzuki's wiring mistakes by replacing original connectors with the same faulty crap.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X