80 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs1100e

battery light stays on, on the gauge panel. Battery is new, do I change the rectifier or the stator? Thanks.

Unless you have a battery that you can plug the sensor into, it will always be on.
    Disconnect the sensor wire at the gauges. Or unplug the bulb.

Comment

Welcome to the forums. I have the exact same bike- same model, same year. As this is a 32yo bike, chances are that the battery has been replaced a few times since new. Most likely the reason you see the light is that the battery currently in the bike does not have an opening to insert the battery probe into. It's this lack of probing that is registering as a problem on you indicator panel. The original layout had a probe that went into the battery to detect its solution level.

To make the light go out you can ground the probe, or as some do, simply remove the lightbulb from the indicator panel. Just because the battery light is on, there is no reason to assume there's anything wrong with your bike's charging system. If you want to check the stator and the regulator/rectifier (commonly know as the "R/R"), then follow the proceedures outlined in the link above.

Comment

Thanks much. How about when I rev the throttle the headlight does not get any brighter, like maybe not charging?

Comment

Have you used a multimeter and run through any of the stator paper tests yet? Do that to know what's going on instead of shooting from the hip.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
          X