X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical conundrum revealed !

Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker

I just wanted to share a life lesson I recently experienced, hoping that I will be the only one to make this mistake.

I'll keep it short and sweet.

I own a 1981 GS 650GL. Recently purchased from a great previous owner who re-built the bike about 3000km ago. We're talking everything.

- All chrome refinished and polished
    - Electrical wires cleaned up or rewired
    - Complete motor rebuild
    - Complete stock exhaust rebuild

It runs like a dream. Perfect in every way, except some clutch slipping at about 7500 RPM. But I dont ride that hard, so not a huge issue.

I was riding it home a week ago, and ALL the running lights go out. Im thinking, not a huge deal, must be a fuse, right?

So FIRST thing I do is check the fuse. Looks good. No, I say, I'm not gonna do it half-assed. I pull out the multi-meter, and check for continuity across both endcaps of the 'lights' fuse. It's GOOD.

Now we have a problem. I start talking the tank off, and slowly but surely, spend the next 12 hrs spread over a week checking continuity across all the possibly affected wires. I am going crazy, they are all good.

I go to CliFFBase's website, I find the wiring diagram. Nothing makes sense. The ONLY thing that connects all the running lights is that fuse.

I check it with the multimeter again. Still good.

Then I actually take it out. And the end caps twists off.

Replaced it. Everything works. OMG, thats 12 hrs I am never getting back..

TL DR;

Fuse was good enough to pass continuity, but not the power needed to function.

Hope people read this and learn from me. Take the damn fuse out and replace it, just to be sure !!

Originally posted by DrBunsen View Post
    Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker

I just wanted to share a life lesson I recently experienced, hoping that I will be the only one to make this mistake.

I'll keep it short and sweet.

I own a 1981 GS 650GL. Recently purchased from a great previous owner who re-built the bike about 3000km ago. We're talking everything.

- All chrome refinished and polished
    - Electrical wires cleaned up or rewired
    - Complete motor rebuild
    - Complete stock exhaust rebuild

It runs like a dream. Perfect in every way, except some clutch slipping at about 7500 RPM. But I dont ride that hard, so not a huge issue.

I was riding it home a week ago, and ALL the running lights go out. Im thinking, not a huge deal, must be a fuse, right?

So FIRST thing I do is check the fuse. Looks good. No, I say, I'm not gonna do it half-assed. I pull out the multi-meter, and check for continuity across both endcaps of the 'lights' fuse. It's GOOD.

Now we have a problem. I start talking the tank off, and slowly but surely, spend the next 12 hrs spread over a week checking continuity across all the possibly affected wires. I am going crazy, they are all good.

I go to CliFFBase's website, I find the wiring diagram. Nothing makes sense. The ONLY thing that connects all the running lights is that fuse.

I check it with the multimeter again. Still good.

Then I actually take it out. And the end caps twists off.

Replaced it. Everything works. OMG, thats 12 hrs I am never getting back..

TL DR;

Fuse was good enough to pass continuity, but not the power needed to function.

Hope people read this and learn from me. Take the damn fuse out and replace it, just to be sure !!
    A continuity test is confirmatory but not conclusive as the ohm meter current/voltage seldom puts the same load on the circuit as proper operation.

Lessons learned are not soon forgotten , but unfortunately seldom do others learn from your experiences. Without doing a mathematical description, I'm sure you can now understand my comment re:confirmatory v.s. conclusive while others will just breeze right past.

Comment

Change to the modern blade type fuses and you won't have to do this again.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

...Fuse was good enough to pass continuity, but not the power needed to function...
        Yep, I've had that happen a couple of time over the years, including on an 850G.

I never even bother with the continuity check any more, if I suspect a fuse I just replace it.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

if you checked the fuse WHILE IT WAS INSTALLED, it may have read continuity, thru the circuits on the bike no doubt.
          when checking ohms, ALWAYS isolate the part you are checking ...

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I've had the "looks good/tests good/isn't good" on those too. (Just once though that I can remember.)
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

DrBunsen said...." It runs like a dream. Perfect in every way, except some clutch slipping at about 7500 RPM. But I dont ride that hard, so not a huge issue"

Check that correct oil was used or else! how many miles led to this rebuild??
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It was rebuilt 37,000 km in to it's life.

Comment

Yeah. I think that may be my next project. Turns out, the headlight is a H4, which I think is an upgrade, which in turn might explain the lights fuse blowing once in a while. I wish they made a 11amp fuse !

Comment

Yeah. I think that may be my next project. Turns out, the headlight is a H4, which I think is an upgrade, which in turn might explain the lights fuse blowing once in a while. I wish they made a 11amp fuse !
                    The H4 headlight is stock, and even if it weren't, it would be draw the same amount of current as a sealed-beam light.

Now, back to the first post, ... would you mind translating "TL DR" for me?

I am one of the old fogies that is accustomed to ALL the keys on the keyboard being used.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When restoring/refurbishing old GS bikes I always change the fuses for just that reason.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Welcome and good point.
                        I wonder why the engineers that be never pondered circuit breakers for a motorcycle?

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                          Welcome and good point.
                          I wonder why the engineers that be never pondered circuit breakers for a motorcycle?
                          You can second-guess them.

For glass fuses. Less than $3 each.

For blade-style fuses. Just under $3.25 each.

Can probably shop around a bit and find them cheaper, this was just the first place I found.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            The H4 headlight is stock, and even if it weren't, it would be draw the same amount of current as a sealed-beam light.

Now, back to the first post, ... would you mind translating "TL DR" for me?

I am one of the old fogies that is accustomed to ALL the keys on the keyboard being used.

TL DR = Too Long, Didn't Read
                            Not sure why he would put that in his own post though, it's mainly used in faster moving boards where one person goes on a long-winded rant and subsequent posters will qoute, then add TLDR as a way to lightly insult the ranter and remind him that he is not the end-all be-all of the forum, and that the best comment is a succinct one. You will probably not suffer that insult, due to your consistent succinctness(?)

Comment

Nope.

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                              I've had the "looks good/tests good/isn't good" on those too. (Just once though that I can remember.)
                              Yep.

Many of us have been there done that, and gotten the greasy t-shirt to prove it. Never trust a fuse. Or a fuse box, for that matter.

I do like those circuit breakers, Steve... I had no idea those existed!
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X